Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMartin KMartin is offline

Default How do you set Numbered = On in a style?

Hi,

I am trying to ensure that our numbered lists always restart at number 1
rather than continuing a number from a previous list. In our new template, we
have a list number style we created, but it does not restart with a new list.
Our old template did not have this issue, so I looked at the list numbere
style there.

When you go into the formatting of the style and select Numbered, everything
is turned off. However, if you look on the main page of the Modify Style
window, in the gray text near the bottom that lists all of the style
attributes that are set, there is text that says "Numbered." That seems to be
the fundamental difference between the style that works and the style that
doesn't. Does anyone know where this is set? i see no options for that.

Both styles are paragraph styles, FYI.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Which version of Word is this? Note that if you are using Word 2007, you can
no longer apply outline (multilevel) numbering via the Modify Style dialog
box for a paragraph style. However, the numbering options are still listed
at the bottom of the Modify Style dialog.

To modify the numbering in Word 2007, do the following: Place the insertion
point in the first level 1 paragraph (for example, in the first Heading 1
paragraph if you are dealing with heading numbering). Then, on the Home
ribbon tab, click Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. Word
displays a dialog box similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List of
previous Word versions (and the instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html still
apply).

To restart a numbered list, right-click a numbered paragraph and use the
shortcut menu. Alternatively, use a LISTNUM field to force numbering
restarts; see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tbylistnum.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"KMartin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMartin KMartin is offline

Thanks for the tips. I am using Word 2003.

One problem here is that Word is not our authoring tool. We use AuthorIt,
which publishes to Word and from there we create a PDF. So we do not have the
option of manually setting lists to restart. We would have to go through the
document every time we publish and reset every list.

We need a way for lists to automatically restart. In our old template, we
never had to set lists to restart. That is why I checked out the style we
used and saw "Numbered" in the description. However, I have found no way to
set this in a new style. Our old template was created several years ago by an
outside firm, so I can't ask anyone how it was set up.

I'm looking into the LISTNUM option, but I have never worked with List
styles, and can't seem to get them working now. I need to do more research
and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the link to the article.

"KMartin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm not familiar with AuthorIt, so I don't know how much you can control
numbering in the Word document it creates. From your description, it seems
as if control is limited?

The various ways in Word to restart numbered lists are summarized he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...artMethods.htm. Generally, the
*easiest* way would be to set up an outline-numbered list of paragraph
styles (but, again, I'm not sure what would be possible for your specific
situation). And the LISTNUM solution is the most flexible, in my opinion.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP