Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
C Hayes C Hayes is offline

Default How do I retain special fields {} in a merge document?

How do I retain special fields {} in a merge document?

I created a special autotext field on a document to allow a dropdown menu on
right click. When I merge the document I lose that field and it becomes
text. Is there a way to merge the field and not the text only?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
C Hayes C Hayes is offline

I've been reading some recent posts (I did try to search for an answer before
I posted) and it appears there is no easy answer to this.

"C Hayes" wrote:

How do I retain special fields {} in a merge document?

I created a special autotext field on a document to allow a dropdown menu on
right click. When I merge the document I lose that field and it becomes
text. Is there a way to merge the field and not the text only?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would guess that you will need to use VBA to create a "roll-your-own"
equivalent to mail merge. To do that, I would start with a template in
which I used DOCVARIABLE fields in place of the merge fields and then
iterate throught the data source, creating a new document from that template
for each record and setting document variables in that documnet to the data
from the data source and then saving that document before the macro moves on
to the next record in the data source and repeats the process.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"C Hayes" wrote:

How do I retain special fields {} in a merge document?

I created a special autotext field on a document to allow a dropdown menu
on
right click. When I merge the document I lose that field and it becomes
text. Is there a way to merge the field and not the text only?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
C Hayes C Hayes is offline

Thank you Doug.

I kind of came at it from the other end. I dropped a button on my subform
and used Kallal's mergeallword module with a hard coded sql string. But I
like this idea of a "roll-your-own" mail merge for complex fields (especially
merging a form with controls.)

Thank You,

Chris