Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cheryl cheryl is offline

Default Image placement problems

Forgive me for posting this again but I don't ever seem to get a reply
to these issues and I would just like to know why. Please let me know
if I should be posting this question on another forum or if I should
be able to find the solution elsewhere. If there is just no known
solution, please state this.
Thanks

Image wrapping issues
1. Even when I uncheck the move object with text, the image often
seems to have a mind of its own and refuses to be placed where I want
it. The only way I have found to resolve this is to change the
layout to "In front of text", place the image where I want it, and
then change the layout back to Tight. Is there some setting I am
missing that enables one to place and keep images where I need them
be? This issue is becoming particularly problematic as images two
pages earlier seem to move when I change something on a completely
different page.

2. If there is a table anywhere close to the image, the image just
seems to "jump into" the table. This happens even though I unchecked
the "layout in table" setting. The only way I found to resolve this
was the same approach as above in 1--changing the layout to in front
of text

3. Sometimes the placement of an image causes extra space to appear
between lines in a paragraph. Most often this is resolved by
tweaking
the position of the image or size, but it often forces me to make
less--preferred changes to the placement or size of the image or
caption.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cheryl cheryl is offline

Bob;

Thanks for your reply. I don't mean to sound argumentative but I do
tend to post as a last resort. I searched extensively but the
solutions suggested were ones I have already attempted (such as
"uncheck move object with text"), and sometimes it is very hard to
construct a search for some of the behavior--such as "extra space in
paragraph". So if the issue had been addressed, I'm not sure I would
have found it.

I'm convinced now if I wasn't already that Word is not a pagelayout
tool and I will be looking to use Adobe InDesign for future projects,
but unfortunately I don't have time or resources to move to that
platform for this project.

Again, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the reply and I will "look
harder" for previous messages on this topic.
regards,

On Aug 16, 2:07 pm, "CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote:
You might start he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrawingGraphics.htm

and consume as much as you have the stomach for

This is a subject that has been discussed repeatedly in the forums & I guess
some of the responders just get tired of rewriting replies to questions that
can be answered by a little search effort
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"cheryl" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

caption.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cheryl cheryl is offline

Thanks very much for your reply Bob. The website you referenced has a
lot of great information and does provide some clarity about how Word
graphic objects behave. The graphic in question was inserted as a
floating object (I never use inline objects) with the wrapping style
set to "tight". (I'm using the Word Manual template and using the
extra wide margin to for pictures and other text tips and notes.) I
don't think if I understand inline versus floating that I would want
an inline picture in this situation or why I would see this extra
spacing in the middle of a paragraph with a floating object (Or why it
would disappear when I slightly move or resize the graphic).

regards,

On Aug 16, 5:23 pm, "CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote:
Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression - merely a possible explanation for
the lack of response not intended to chastize:-)

Your assessment that Word isn't a page layout program couldn't be more
accurate. I'm sure you'll find InD - or even MS Publisher - far more
cooperative when it comes to combining text & graphics. They're designed for
that purpose whereas Word's layout features are more like "after-thoughts".

One main reason I pointed you to that page is the differentiation between
InLine & "floating" graphics. Based on your description of the line spacing
issue I believe clarification on that will help you resolve that problem.
The information there also provides further insight to how Word's "foreign
objects" are attached to the *text* in one of those two ways rather than to
a "page" - actual pages are a concept with which Word is utterly unfamiliar
& unconcerned.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"cheryl" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

"cheryl" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I disagree. I think Cheryl hasn't gotten a reply because most of don't feel
very confident about such issues. I can barely get graphics to do what *I*
want them to do; I don't presume to advise anyone else.

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
You might start he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrawingGraphics.htm

and consume as much as you have the stomach for

This is a subject that has been discussed repeatedly in the forums & I

guess
some of the responders just get tired of rewriting replies to questions

that
can be answered by a little search effort
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

"cheryl" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hi Cheryl -

I'm afraid this has me a bit perplexed as well because I haven't been able
to recreate what I understand the problem to be I've tried various text
wrapping & settings along with different combinations of Paragraph
formatting & Line Spacing and *nothing* caused line gapping within the
paragraph. The only thing that even gives that impression is if the graphic
is positioned in such a way as to cause a line to split left-right which
makes it look like there is an inappropriate amount of space above/below the
graphic. Moving the graphic up/down slightly allows the affected line to
rejoin similar to what you describe - but that is normal behavior.

Also, I'm a bit confused by the parenthetical statement in your last post...
Is the graphic in the margin or in the body and where is the affected text
relative to the graphic?

Is the graphic in a Drawing Canvas?

What happens if you cut the graphic, paste it into a text box & set your
wrapping style for the text box ... or convert the text box to a Frame?

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

ps.com...

"cheryl" wrote in message

[...]

"cheryl" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] news@mlmkc.org is offline

Hi Bob;

I have not yet tried all of the suggestions but I can answer some of
your questions and will come back to the others.

There is no special line spacing in the document. It is single-
spaced, the body text font is Garamond 12pt. If I am able to
replicate the paragraph spacing problem and take a screenshot is there
an address I can email it to you?

Previously margins were set to 2" for the left margin, which meant a
wider picture would be partially outside of the margins but it might
jut into the text. Since pictures don't seem to have any "awareness"
of the page margin this seems to work to my advantage most of the
time. I just decided to make a fairly major change that I think will
help and that is to make the layout horizontal (landscape) Now that I
switched the layout (this also avoids the messiness of facing pages),
I have a 4" margin for the left, which I use for pictures and other
margin information like notes and warnings. I think this is going to
work much better and the customer is okay with the change.

I don't use the drawing canvas-probably because it mystified me when I
first saw it and what I read in the online help didn't help me to
understand how to use it effectively. I will try the suggestion you
mention below.

Thanks
Cheryl

On Aug 17, 12:06 pm, "CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet
wrote:
[...]

"cheryl" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

"cheryl" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

"cheryl" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Just an update - It does appear that customized line spacing can cause the
type of behavior you're seeing. I tried a para of TNR 12 pt with line
spacing set to At Least 14 pts and was able to get that type of separation.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

[...]

ps.com...

"cheryl" wrote in message

[...]

"cheryl" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I don't think a screen shot would do much good, but here's another option if
it isn't a confidential doc (apparently not?):

Save a copy - feel free to delete everything that precedes & follows that
page. (Include a screen shot if you like.) Zip the resulting file(s) & send
it to the address in the message header... Just omit the word "type" and sub
the appropriate characters for "at" and "dot" - but be sure to put *only*
the following one-time-only string in the Subject field of the email:

cg817@3#9

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

[...]

[...]