Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Kratochvil[_2_] Jan Kratochvil[_2_] is offline

Default How to work with more document correctly - the right process

We often work on more then one document (e.g. one *.doc=one chapter ) and
than I need to put those document inside one document.
In every document I have bookmarks and hyperlinks.

What is the right process if I am working on those more documents and the
result must be to have one main document with bookmarks and hyperlinks?

What is than the best way to correct errors and mistakes in text.
Is it better to correct it after we have one main document or correct the
text in separate document and than replace the text in the main document
again?

Thanks for suggestions.
I hope You uderstand what I mean.

--
Jan Kratochvil, Office 2007, Win XP Pro SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can insert the source documents into a target document: On the Insert
tab, click the arrow next to Object (in the Text group), and then click Text
from File. This displays the Insert File dialog box. Locate the file to
insert, click the arrow next to the Insert button and choose to Insert as
Link. Repeat for each additional document to insert.

Note that when you insert files as links, Word makes use of INCLUDETEXT
fields. Changes in the source documents will be reflected in the target
(after you've updated the fields). Conversely, you can edit the text of an
INCLUDETEXT field and then press Ctrl+Shift+F7 to save the changes back to
the inserted files.

For more on INCLUDETEXT, see the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...ldscontent.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jan Kratochvil" wrote in message
We often work on more then one document (e.g. one *.doc=one chapter ) and
than I need to put those document inside one document.
In every document I have bookmarks and hyperlinks.

What is the right process if I am working on those more documents and the
result must be to have one main document with bookmarks and hyperlinks?

What is than the best way to correct errors and mistakes in text.
Is it better to correct it after we have one main document or correct the
text in separate document and than replace the text in the main document
again?

Thanks for suggestions.
I hope You uderstand what I mean.

--
Jan Kratochvil, Office 2007, Win XP Pro SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Kratochvil[_2_] Jan Kratochvil[_2_] is offline

Thanks a lot Stefan.
It helped me to undestand more how to manage more documents more
well-arranged.

Please I have a similar q.
I write a small example:

I have one main doc and 50 of sub docs which I will later put in the main
doc. This is clear.

Problem is now, I write a text in e.g. in subdoc1.doc: "if you will see more
details look in this chapter"
Text "this chapter" means that I will here have a link (bookmark, reference)
on text which is placed in subdoc2.doc.
In subdoc2.doc is the text with style e.g. Heading2,3 and so on.

Is it possible or useful to make it in this way? Or shall I write only
comment in all subdocs*.doc and as lately as I have all subdocs*.doc in the
main doc I can start with building of bookmarks and references in text?
What is the easiest way to work with bookmarks and references if you are
working with many doc files, which shall later built one main doc files
(linked as INCLUDETEXT,...)

I hope You understand my problem.

--
Jan Kratochvil, Office 2007, Win XP Pro SP2

"Stefan Blom" píše v diskusním příspěvku
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hennie[_3_] hennie[_3_] is offline

In Addition to what Stefan has mentioned there are some more benifits to
reap.

What is interesting about this method is that you can manipulate the
chapters very easy, even if it is several pages long. Highlight the
whole document and press Alt + F9. What will happen is you will only
see the links and it reduce it to a few pages which you can handle. You
can change the sequence of your chapters now by only moving the link.
Resore the document by pressing Alt + F9 again.

In this main document you can create your different tables, TOC, Index,
ect..

I am not sure if it will correct your reference but it is worth a try.

Hennie.

--
hennie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Kratochvil[_2_] Jan Kratochvil[_2_] is offline

Yes Hennie thank you, I know this function - Alt+F9 helps manage doc more
qickly.

But with this references in the nested document is still a mystery for me.
I must explore it somehow..

--
Jan Kratochvil, Office 2007, Win XP Pro SP2

"hennie" píše v diskusním
příspěvku ...

In Addition to what Stefan has mentioned there are some more benifits to
reap.

What is interesting about this method is that you can manipulate the
chapters very easy, even if it is several pages long. Highlight the
whole document and press Alt + F9. What will happen is you will only
see the links and it reduce it to a few pages which you can handle. You
can change the sequence of your chapters now by only moving the link.
Resore the document by pressing Alt + F9 again.

In this main document you can create your different tables, TOC, Index,
ect..

I am not sure if it will correct your reference but it is worth a try.

Hennie.

--
hennie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can certainly add bookmarks in any inserted document ("subdocument"),
but note that references across files won't work correctly unless you are
viewing the target document (where the INCLUDETEXT fields reside).