Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Faulkner Mike Faulkner is offline

Default Font anomaly - Times New Roman Bold

Hello

App: Word 2002 Standard (SP3)
OS: Windows XP (SP3)
TNR = Times New Roman

If you apply Arial Font to some text and then click on 'Format | Font |
Bold' the Font name remains Arial.

Issue 1: Do the same to TNR the Font name changes to 'Times New Roman Bold'.
If you then Permanently Convert the Font to TNR the bold remains.

Issue 2: I can't choose 'Times New Roman Bold' from the Font dropdown. The
TNR bold Font exists in the Fonts folder [TIMESBD.TTF].

Anyone know anything about these two anomalies? Any assistance would be
appreciated.

Regards
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TWlrZSBGYXVsa25lcg==?=,

App: Word 2002 Standard (SP3)
OS: Windows XP (SP3)
TNR = Times New Roman

If you apply Arial Font to some text and then click on 'Format | Font |
Bold' the Font name remains Arial.

Issue 1: Do the same to TNR the Font name changes to 'Times New Roman Bold'.
If you then Permanently Convert the Font to TNR the bold remains.

WHERE are you seeing "Times New Roman Bold"?

Where are you finding the command "Premanently convert the font"?

Issue 2: I can't choose 'Times New Roman Bold' from the Font dropdown. The
TNR bold Font exists in the Fonts folder [TIMESBD.TTF].

That's because Times New Roman is the "parent", and italics and bold are just
variations. If you typed it into the font box, it would most likely apply.
Word's font list almost never includes ALL fonts installed, just "parent" fonts
that aren't symbol fonts.

Anyone know anything about these two anomalies? Any assistance would be
appreciated.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Faulkner Mike Faulkner is offline

Cindy

Many thanks for repsonding so quickly.

Issue 1: In Word - Tools | Options | Compatibility | Font Substitution.

Issue 2: Many thanks for the information.

Regards
Mike

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TWlrZSBGYXVsa25lcg==?=,

Issue 1: In Word - Tools | Options | Compatibility | Font Substitution.

I'm sorry, I can't help with this. I'm not terribly familiar with font
compatibility and haven't any documents I can test on. My best guess
would be that it has something to do with the fonts' internal properties,
but I'm not an expert in this area...

There's a public.word.printingfonts newsgroup that you should be able to
find through this interface
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

You might try asking in the more specialized group.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement