Ricki Miles

Default Text box in header

I am working in Word 2002 and have a problem with a letterhead template. I
need the left margin on page 1 to be wider than the margin for the rest of
the document and have placed a text box in the first page header to
compensate. I realize this causes problems when people use the template and
try to indent properly on the first page.

Is there any way to work around this problem besides redesigning the
letterhead? I have suggested continuous section breaks, etc. but that
seems like a very clunky fix.

Thanks for your help,

Ricki

The way you're handling this is the commonly recommended and IMO the best
way. As you say, it does cause problems with indents and hanging indents.
FWIW, the Bullets and Numbering buttons on the Formatting toolbar do cause
paragraphs to indent as expected. Moreover, the number formatting can be
customized not to include numbering, and the indents can be monkeyed with,
so there are devious workarounds, but I would not regard any of these as
worth recommending.

"Ricki Miles" wrote in message
I am working in Word 2002 and have a problem with a letterhead template.

need the left margin on page 1 to be wider than the margin for the rest of
the document and have placed a text box in the first page header to
compensate. I realize this causes problems when people use the template

and
try to indent properly on the first page.

Is there any way to work around this problem besides redesigning the
letterhead? I have suggested continuous section breaks, etc. but that
seems like a very clunky fix.

Thanks for your help,

Ricki

Ricki Miles

Thanks for the info,

Ricki

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The way you're handling this is the commonly recommended and IMO the best
way. As you say, it does cause problems with indents and hanging indents.
FWIW, the Bullets and Numbering buttons on the Formatting toolbar do cause
paragraphs to indent as expected. Moreover, the number formatting can be
customized not to include numbering, and the indents can be monkeyed with,
so there are devious workarounds, but I would not regard any of these as
worth recommending.

so
all may benefit.

"Ricki Miles" wrote in message
I am working in Word 2002 and have a problem with a letterhead template.

need the left margin on page 1 to be wider than the margin for the rest

of
the document and have placed a text box in the first page header to
compensate. I realize this causes problems when people use the template

and
try to indent properly on the first page.

Is there any way to work around this problem besides redesigning the
letterhead? I have suggested continuous section breaks, etc. but that
seems like a very clunky fix.

Thanks for your help,

Ricki

Header changes with text outside of header Connie Martin Microsoft Word Help 3 February 22nd 05 06:58 PM
Numbers to appear at the cursor... ~D~ New Users 11 February 1st 05 04:49 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
textbox to normal text Jack Sons New Users 16 December 5th 04 03:44 PM
Text Box instead of a Header Ned Ludd Microsoft Word Help 1 November 23rd 04 08:09 PM