Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sb sb is offline

Default adding filename & path to footer in office 2007

It used to be easy
It now involves lots of clicks.
There must be a better way - does anyone know what it is?
I tried recording a macro, but just get a runtime error.
Beth Melton's reply to a similar question about adding page numbers just
gave me lost of templates of birthday etc cards.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 19 May 2008 17:09:01 -0700, sb wrote:

It used to be easy
It now involves lots of clicks.
There must be a better way - does anyone know what it is?
I tried recording a macro, but just get a runtime error.
Beth Melton's reply to a similar question about adding page numbers just
gave me lost of templates of birthday etc cards.

If you're referring to Beth's post at
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...747eff0eb17b26
or one of several similar posts, then you didn't follow her instructions
correctly. Here it is, step by step:

1. On the Office button, click New.
2. In the dialog, at the top center, enter the words "filename and path"
(without the quotes) in the search box and press Enter.
3. If the Internet demons smile on you, the first item in the search result will
be "Building Blocks for Inserting File Name and Path in the Header or Footer".
4. On the right side of the dialog, read the disclaimer and click the "I Accept"
button. This is necessary because Beth created the template, not Microsoft.
5. Click the Download button.
6. When the template downloads, you'll see a new document based on the template.
It contains instructions for copying two building blocks (one for the header and
one for the footer) into your Building Blocks.dotx template, which is their
permanent storage place.

Once you've saved these building blocks, inserting one of them takes a maximum
of three clicks (one on the Insert tab if it isn't already selected; one on the
Header or Footer button; one on the Filename And Path item in the gallery).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman