Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rafael Aguilar Rafael Aguilar is offline

Default Word2010 - Opening a corrupt document

How can I open a word document that is corrupted file?
I tried opening it normally and I get the message "cannot be opened" file is corrupt.

I do not want to buy a third-party document recovery package.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen[_2_] Lisa Wilke-Thissen[_2_] is offline

Hi Rafael,

"Rafael Aguilar" schrieb

How can I open a word document that is corrupted file?
I tried opening it normally and I get the message "cannot be opened" file
is corrupt.

did you already try "File | Open | Open and Repair"?

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] hector29herrera@gmail.com is offline

If using Word 97 or above:

-If you have isolated the corruption to a particular table, either:
Paste the table into Excel; delete the Word table; paste the Excel
table back into Word, select the new table (Alt+Double-click), press
Ctrl+Spacebar to remove the manual formatting, and reformat the table,

or:
Select Table + Convert Table to Text, select the text that results,
and select Table + Convert Text to Table. This has the advantage that
you lose much less formatting than using the Excel method, but the
disadvantage that if a corruption is stored in a paragraph mark within the table, it will remain.
-If the table contains horizontally merged cells, it's best to recreate a few rows at a time - for instance, if using method (b), then after converting the table to text, select contiguous rows that have equal numbers of columns, convert them to a table, and keep doing this until you have converted all the text to individual tables (which will automatically merge themselves into a single table).
-If you have isolated the corruption to a particular paragraph, select the text in the paragraph, but be careful not to select the paragraph marker (the paragraph marker is a property container, and that's where the corruption is stored). Paste into a new document. Delete the corrupt paragraph. Paste back from the new document to the old one.
-You can try saving as RTF, closing Word, reopening the RTF file and saving back as a Word document. Unfortunately, Word's RTF format is similar enough to Word's native format to preserve most corruptions.
-If that doesn't work, delete any Section Breaks using Find and
Replace, then Select All (Ctrl+A), de-select the final paragraph mark
(Shift + Left arrow), copy, and paste into a new document. Then close the corrupt document and save the new one, overwriting the old one (in that order). Finally, log out or restart your operating system before doing anything more (because document corruptions can corrupt memory).
-If even that doesn't work, try saving in Word 2 format if you have this option (the Word 2 converter is no longer offered, but if you have upgraded from a previous version, you will still have it). Unfortunately, you will lose an awful lot of formatting if you do this, though.
-If even that doesn't work, select File + Open, set the "Files of type" list box to "Recover Text from Any File", and open the corrupt document. Delete the gobbledygook at the end. You'll lose all of your formatting leaving only the text.

-If nothing of these didnt help you, make use of
Word Repair Toolbox http://www.word.repairtoolbox.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 2:16:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:
If using Word 97 or above:

-If you have isolated the corruption to a particular table, either:
Paste the table into Excel; delete the Word table; paste the Excel
table back into Word, select the new table (Alt+Double-click), press
Ctrl+Spacebar to remove the manual formatting, and reformat the table,

He said the document doesn't open. Whether or not a particular table is the
problem, if he can't get at the table, he can't do all your wizardry.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

First of all, try repairing as Lisa suggested.

If repairing doesn't help, assuming that the file is in *.docx format, you
can make use of the fact that *.docx files are actually compressed zip
files. Do the following: Display filename extensions in Windows Explorer, if
you haven't already. Then change the filename extension to ZIP. Open the
file in Windows Explorer and look at document.xml. See if you can salvage
the content.

--
Stefan Blom