Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Allison Orange Allison Orange is offline

Default Manual Feed Not Issued for HP5200 for Labels

We are running Word 2002 (10.6612.6626 SP3) on Windows XP. When printing
labels, other HP printers (8100's, 8150's, 5Si's) stop and allow the user to
manually feed the labels with the paper set to auto select. The new 5200
printers we just received, do not stop for manual feed, unless we
specifically specify manual feed in word or select labels as the type.
Needless to say, users do not like this new feature

Does anyone know if this the way this printer functions or do we not have
something set correctly?

Allison Orange
Florida Public Service Commission

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I don't know this printer, but on the LaserJets I've had, there was usually
a way to set the MP tray (via printer control panel settings) to function
either as a specific size tray, as a manual feed tray only, or "First,"
meaning that the printer would look to that tray first, and, if it was
empty, print from the primary tray. My current printer (LJ 4100) expects to
find any size other than Letter in the MP tray and will prompt for it, but
if labels are not present in the MP tray, it will print on plain paper from
the Letter tray.

Label documents used to have the paper source set to manual feed by default,
I think, but they don't seem to any more. I suspect your only recourse,
especially for non-label documents, may be to explicitly set the paper
source as manual feed.