hnyb1

Default Pop-Up Note

Is there any way to have a note pop up when the mouse hovers over a phrase,
or when a user enters a table? Basically, I have a word document (Word 2003)
that is not locked but is used by others like a form. It is intentionally
not locked and it is not an option to lock it. Some people would like
instructions to pop up when the user enters the table or when the header for
the table is passed over. Similar, if you will, to the "comment" function in
Excel. Not at all similar to the "comment" function in Word, because the
comment always show up there and even prints out. I have seen that there is
a way to write a macro for a pop-up note to appear when the document is
opened. Anyway to modify that so that it appears when a table is selected?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Jay Freedman

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:21:03 -0800, "hnyb1"
wrote:

Is there any way to have a note pop up when the mouse hovers over a phrase,
or when a user enters a table? Basically, I have a word document (Word 2003)
that is not locked but is used by others like a form. It is intentionally
not locked and it is not an option to lock it. Some people would like
instructions to pop up when the user enters the table or when the header for
the table is passed over. Similar, if you will, to the "comment" function in
Excel. Not at all similar to the "comment" function in Word, because the
comment always show up there and even prints out. I have seen that there is
a way to write a macro for a pop-up note to appear when the document is
opened. Anyway to modify that so that it appears when a table is selected?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

You can write an event handler macro to do this. See the post at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...d305741e6d6e5a
and follow the rest of the thread for some caveats.

If you want to pursue this further, please move to one of the Word VBA
programming newsgroups.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gary Bunker

Hi Suzanne,

I don't suppose you could be a bit more specific could you, please? I have
the same question, for a slightly different reason - I want to show
references next to issues in a table, but there is more data attached to the
references (time info) that doesn't fit in the table. Rather than link off
hundreds of times to other parts of the document I'd like to have the time
appear when you hover over the reference. If that can be done in Word and
also in Acrobat output from Word, then fantastic - but I can't seem to find
how to do that.

Thanks for any info you can offer,

Gary

"hnyb1" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's not really a totally satisfactory solution (you get more in the
ScreenTip than just the text you specify), but basically, you bookmark a
reference, then select the same text and insert a hyperlink to it (in effect
hyperlinking it to itself). This in itself accomplishes nothing, but in the
Hyperlink dialog is the option to add ScreenTip text, which will be
displayed on mouseover.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

One way to do this is to hyperlink the text to itself. Remove the

Hyperlink
character style and use the ScreenTip text for your popup. Users will

have
to have ScreenTips enabled, of course.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org