Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DianeVan DianeVan is offline

Default Footer problems

Word 2002
New job, new letterhead, office converting from WP.

I got the letterhead figured out OK by using 'different first page'. But we
often have multiple page FAX sheets which presents a different problem..

If it's a one page fax, it needs a header and a footer. The footer is the
(long) caution paragraph. If there is more than one page, then we need a
header on the first page only and the footer only on the 2nd or last page.
I can't get this to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If all else fails, you can insert section breaks, then turn off the Link to
Previous setting (in the Header and Footer toolbar) to make the
headers/footers in different sections independent.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"DianeVan" wrote in message
Word 2002
New job, new letterhead, office converting from WP.

I got the letterhead figured out OK by using 'different first page'. But
we often have multiple page FAX sheets which presents a different
problem..

If it's a one page fax, it needs a header and a footer. The footer is the
(long) caution paragraph. If there is more than one page, then we need a
header on the first page only and the footer only on the 2nd or last page.
I can't get this to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DianeVan DianeVan is offline

Um, I don't get it.

I need a caution paragraph to show up only once. I figured a footer would
be a logical way for this to happen. If there it is a one page document it
shows up on page one. If the document is two or more pages, it only shows
up on the last page.

The link to previous is always grayed out.

All the permutations I try don't have the desired effect. Either the
footer is off on the first page always or always shows up. This happens
even when I insert page breaks (section page break) and then delete the
paragraphs above to make it one page again. Is there a wway to insert
section breaks which are not page breaks?

Diane

"DianeVan" wrote in message
Word 2002
New job, new letterhead, office converting from WP.

I got the letterhead figured out OK by using 'different first page'. But
we often have multiple page FAX sheets which presents a different
problem..

If it's a one page fax, it needs a header and a footer. The footer is
the (long) caution paragraph. If there is more than one page, then we
need a header on the first page only and the footer only on the 2nd or
last page. I can't get this to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"DianeVan" wrote:

Word 2002
New job, new letterhead, office converting from WP.

I got the letterhead figured out OK by using 'different first page'. But we
often have multiple page FAX sheets which presents a different problem..

If it's a one page fax, it needs a header and a footer. The footer is the
(long) caution paragraph. If there is more than one page, then we need a
header on the first page only and the footer only on the 2nd or last page.
I can't get this to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Use an IF field in the footer:

{IF {PAGE} = {NUMPAGES} "Caution text..........." ""}

where each {} is inserted with CTRL-F9. When you are done, select the IF
field and do SHIFT-F9 to toggle the field value.
If your document has only one page, you may need to do a Print Preview to
update it...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Create the template and use an IF field for the disclaimer in the Footer.
The IF field needs to argue that the page number equals the Number of Pages,
True = Disclaimer, False = blank. The answer is only true for the final page
as that is the only time that the page = the number of pages. This works
regardless of the length of the Fax.

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } Disclaimer Text }

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"DianeVan" wrote in message
Word 2002
New job, new letterhead, office converting from WP.

I got the letterhead figured out OK by using 'different first page'. But
we often have multiple page FAX sheets which presents a different
problem..

If it's a one page fax, it needs a header and a footer. The footer is the
(long) caution paragraph. If there is more than one page, then we need a
header on the first page only and the footer only on the 2nd or last page.
I can't get this to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DianeVan DianeVan is offline

Oh boy, a little learning curve for me here. But it will be fun to figure
it out. Thanks all.

More questions may follow, once I get started.

Diane