Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jen_writer jen_writer is offline

Default Table loses formatting

Every couple of weeks I will open a document and all of the tables have lost
their "Table Grid" format style and are instead random styles like headers or
body text. I have to go through and reapply the "table grid" style to every
table individually. These documents are always fine when I close them. What
is happening to cause this and how can I stop it?

thanks
Jen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The most likely cause of this is Word's AutoFormat or Document Map. Assuming
Word 2002 or 2003, go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options and, on the AutoFormat
As You Type tab, clear the check box for "Define styles based on your
formatting."

"jen_writer" wrote in message
Every couple of weeks I will open a document and all of the tables have
lost
their "Table Grid" format style and are instead random styles like headers
or
body text. I have to go through and reapply the "table grid" style to
every
table individually. These documents are always fine when I close them.
What
is happening to cause this and how can I stop it?

thanks
Jen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jen_writer jen_writer is offline

Yes, Word 2003.
I checked and the box was not checked. However, the latest document that
this happened with, someone else had written and I was editing. Could that
have confused Word?

thanks
Jen

"jen_writer" wrote in message
Every couple of weeks I will open a document and all of the tables have
lost
their "Table Grid" format style and are instead random styles like headers
or
body text. I have to go through and reapply the "table grid" style to
every
table individually. These documents are always fine when I close them.
What
is happening to cause this and how can I stop it?

thanks
Jen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Possibly. But note that the Table Grid style is usually displayed only when
the table contents are Normal. If you apply paragraph styles to individual
paragraphs, you'll see those styles instead of Table Grid.

"jen_writer" wrote in message
Every couple of weeks I will open a document and all of the tables have
lost
their "Table Grid" format style and are instead random styles like
headers
or
body text. I have to go through and reapply the "table grid" style to
every
table individually. These documents are always fine when I close them.
What
is happening to cause this and how can I stop it?

thanks
Jen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jen_writer jen_writer is offline

I know. The problem is with the table format though. I highlight the table
and it says Table Grid (contents are Normal). I open the doc later and
highlight the table and it's e.g., Body Text 1" Indent and the table contents
are also Body Text 1" indent.