Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John... Visio MVP John... Visio MVP is offline

Default Problem with apostrophe's and smart quotes.

I have a problem with an apostrophe in a numbered style that insists on
terminating the apostrophe as a quote string.

The style includes text that has a apostrophe. "Chef d'accusation n :". The
user chooses the style and types "Reason A", Since next style is the same,
the user can type
"Reason BCRReason CCRReason D"

What is expected is:
Chef d'accusation 1 : Reason A
Chef d'accusation 2 : Reason B
Chef d'accusation 3 : Reason C
Chef d'accusation 4 : Reason D

What I get is:
Chef d'accusation 1 : Reason A'
Chef d'accusation 2 : Reason B'
Chef d'accusation 3 : Reason C'
Chef d'accusation 4 : Reason D'

(notice the trailing quote)

Turning off smart quotes is not an option I have been given.

John... Visio MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Just tell the chef to stop accusing people for any reason.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"John... Visio MVP" wrote in message
I have a problem with an apostrophe in a numbered style that insists on
terminating the apostrophe as a quote string.

The style includes text that has a apostrophe. "Chef d'accusation n :".
The user chooses the style and types "Reason A", Since next style is the
same, the user can type
"Reason BCRReason CCRReason D"

What is expected is:
Chef d'accusation 1 : Reason A
Chef d'accusation 2 : Reason B
Chef d'accusation 3 : Reason C
Chef d'accusation 4 : Reason D

What I get is:
Chef d'accusation 1 : Reason A'
Chef d'accusation 2 : Reason B'
Chef d'accusation 3 : Reason C'
Chef d'accusation 4 : Reason D'

(notice the trailing quote)

Turning off smart quotes is not an option I have been given.

John... Visio MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John... Visio MVP John... Visio MVP is offline

Wait till March! ;-)

That is the French phrasing for an an indictment. It is used in court cases
to list the indictments against an individual.

John... Visio MVP

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

John

I've really no idea why this is happening, but I suggested disabling all the
AutoFormat options to see if one of those affects the action you are seeing.

Terry Farrell

"John... Visio MVP" wrote in message
I have a problem with an apostrophe in a numbered style that insists on
terminating the apostrophe as a quote string.

The style includes text that has a apostrophe. "Chef d'accusation n :".
The user chooses the style and types "Reason A", Since next style is the
same, the user can type
"Reason BCRReason CCRReason D"

What is expected is:
Chef d'accusation 1 : Reason A
Chef d'accusation 2 : Reason B
Chef d'accusation 3 : Reason C
Chef d'accusation 4 : Reason D

What I get is:
Chef d'accusation 1 : Reason A'
Chef d'accusation 2 : Reason B'
Chef d'accusation 3 : Reason C'
Chef d'accusation 4 : Reason D'

(notice the trailing quote)

Turning off smart quotes is not an option I have been given.

John... Visio MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John... Visio MVP John... Visio MVP is offline

The problem disappears when smart quotes is turned off, but the strange bit
is that the apostrophe is inside the style and the added quote is outside,
in the text the user enters.

John... Visio MVP
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Yes it is bizarre. If you finish the lines with a Line Break rather than a
paragraph return, I expect it won't happen. But that's hardly a solution.
What happens if you add D'accusation to the exclusion list?

Terry

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John... Visio MVP John... Visio MVP is offline

Ummm, exclusion list?

For now the client has agreed to Chef 1 :, Chef 2 : etc., but I am still
curious as to what is going on.

John...