Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gopher87 gopher87 is offline

Default Use and purpose of citations in Word 2007

Hi All

I did the following:

I typed into my Word document some text copied from a book (the citation)

I highlighted that text and then selected INSERT A CITATION

Word popped up a mask to enter the data about the book

After I clicked OK my text disappeared with a sort of placehoder like
(Author,2009).

Great but how can I make the *actual* text of my citation appear in the
document after I have marked it as a citation?

Perhaps I am using the "INSERT A CITATION" functionality in the wrong way?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Do Not have text *selected* whenever you insert [just about] anything else
unless you want the "anything else" to replace what you have selected. (One
exception that comes immediately to mind is Bookmarks.)

Place the Insertion Point at the end of the cited passage or the spot where
the Citation is to go, then insert the Citation.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/10/09 8:33 AM, in article , "gopher87"
wrote:

Hi All

I did the following:

I typed into my Word document some text copied from a book (the citation)

I highlighted that text and then selected INSERT A CITATION

Word popped up a mask to enter the data about the book

After I clicked OK my text disappeared with a sort of placehoder like
(Author,2009).

Great but how can I make the *actual* text of my citation appear in the
document after I have marked it as a citation?

Perhaps I am using the "INSERT A CITATION" functionality in the wrong way?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Just to add to Bob's answer.

When it comes to citations, you can not insert them that way. You either
have to fill in the form field by field, or you have to select them from a
master list you got from elsewhere or created before.

Yves
--
http://bibword.codeplex.com

.. .

wrote:

Hi All

I did the following:

I typed into my Word document some text copied from a book (the citation)

I highlighted that text and then selected INSERT A CITATION

Word popped up a mask to enter the data about the book

After I clicked OK my text disappeared with a sort of placehoder like
(Author,2009).

Great but how can I make the *actual* text of my citation appear in the
document after I have marked it as a citation?

Perhaps I am using the "INSERT A CITATION" functionality in the wrong
way?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think the issue here is a misunderstanding of the term "citation." I
believe gopher87 understands "citation" to mean the quoted text rather than
the bibliographic data. As Bob says, the quoted text should not be selected
when the citation is created.

http://word.mvps.org

"Yves Dhondt" wrote in message
Just to add to Bob's answer.

When it comes to citations, you can not insert them that way. You either
have to fill in the form field by field, or you have to select them from a
master list you got from elsewhere or created before.

Yves
--
http://bibword.codeplex.com

.. .

wrote:

Hi All

I did the following:

I typed into my Word document some text copied from a book (the
citation)

I highlighted that text and then selected INSERT A CITATION

Word popped up a mask to enter the data about the book

After I clicked OK my text disappeared with a sort of placehoder like
(Author,2009).

Great but how can I make the *actual* text of my citation appear in the
document after I have marked it as a citation?

Perhaps I am using the "INSERT A CITATION" functionality in the wrong
way?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I think the issue here is a misunderstanding of the term "citation." I
believe gopher87 understands "citation" to mean the quoted text rather
than the bibliographic data. As Bob says, the quoted text should not be
selected when the citation is created.

Hi

yes, I intended it as :

Citation: a portion of text that is quoted verbatim from a publication.

Bibliographic data for the above (i.e. the citation): Bibliographic data
for the citation, in the above provided definition of citation.

So am I correct if I say that Word 2007 does not provide a mechanism to
associate a portion of text to some bibliographic data so that one could
create a collection (set) of objects of the kind
TEXT---BIBLIOGRAPHIC_DATA_FOR_THE_TEXT that can then be re-used in
other documents?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have not had any experience with this new feature, but I think the idea is
to create a bibliography from which you can select in order to insert
"citations" (that is, the author-date reference) for additional quotations
without having to retype. Others who have actually used this feature can
perhaps help you more.

http://word.mvps.org

"gopher87" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I think the issue here is a misunderstanding of the term "citation." I
believe gopher87 understands "citation" to mean the quoted text rather
than the bibliographic data. As Bob says, the quoted text should not be
selected when the citation is created.

Hi

yes, I intended it as :

Citation: a portion of text that is quoted verbatim from a publication.

Bibliographic data for the above (i.e. the citation): Bibliographic data
for the citation, in the above provided definition of citation.

So am I correct if I say that Word 2007 does not provide a mechanism to
associate a portion of text to some bibliographic data so that one could
create a collection (set) of objects of the kind
TEXT---BIBLIOGRAPHIC_DATA_FOR_THE_TEXT that can then be re-used in other
documents?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On May 10, 10:46*am, gopher87 wrote:
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I think the issue here is a misunderstanding of the term "citation." I
believe gopher87 understands "citation" to mean the quoted text rather
than the bibliographic data. As Bob says, the quoted text should not be
selected when the citation is created.

Hi

yes, I intended it as :

Citation: a portion of text that is quoted verbatim from a publication.

Bibliographic data for the above (i.e. the citation): Bibliographic data
for the citation, in the above provided definition of citation.

So am I correct if I say that Word 2007 does not provide a mechanism to
associate a portion of text to some bibliographic data so that one could
create a collection (set) of objects *of the kind
TEXT---BIBLIOGRAPHIC_DATA_FOR_THE_TEXT that can then be re-used in
other documents?

Thanks!

Yes, you are correct. The source list is a list of sources, not a list
of quotes from sources.

Note that you could copy the quotation along with its citation from
one document to another.