Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arne Arne is offline

Default invalid links to cells in an embedded excel object

Hello,

I am writing an instruction in which certain values are mentiioned which
change from time to time. To increase maintainability, I linked these values
to cells in an exceel sheet that is embedded at the end of the document by
copying them as unformatted text using the 'link' option of the 'paste
special' command. This works fine as long as I do not close the document.
However, when I save the document and reopen it, most (but not all) of these
links have become invalid.

Is this a known issue, and is there a way to avoid it? Using bookmarks is a
very laborious option which I prefer to avoid.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Try unchecking tools options general web options files update
links on save.
There's a similar option in Word 2007's options.

Arne wrote:
Hello,

I am writing an instruction in which certain values are mentiioned
which change from time to time. To increase maintainability, I linked
these values to cells in an exceel sheet that is embedded at the end
of the document by copying them as unformatted text using the 'link'
option of the 'paste special' command. This works fine as long as I
do not close the document. However, when I save the document and
reopen it, most (but not all) of these links have become invalid.

Is this a known issue, and is there a way to avoid it? Using
bookmarks is a very laborious option which I prefer to avoid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arne Arne is offline

Thanks.

I found out that this is not the first time this question has been put on
this forum. So actually links to embedded files are useless because it
results in files that cannot be renamed or moved/copied to other locations
without messing up the links? After all, the links do not have to be
automatically updated (I already switched that off), but they do have to be
working so they can be updated when necessary.

Arne wrote:
Hello,

I am writing an instruction in which certain values are mentiioned
which change from time to time. To increase maintainability, I linked
these values to cells in an exceel sheet that is embedded at the end
of the document by copying them as unformatted text using the 'link'
option of the 'paste special' command. This works fine as long as I
do not close the document. However, when I save the document and
reopen it, most (but not all) of these links have become invalid.

Is this a known issue, and is there a way to avoid it? Using
bookmarks is a very laborious option which I prefer to avoid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The links should be working as long as you don't rename or move the *source*
files.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Arne wrote:
Hello,

I am writing an instruction in which certain values are mentiioned
which change from time to time. To increase maintainability, I linked
these values to cells in an exceel sheet that is embedded at the end
of the document by copying them as unformatted text using the 'link'
option of the 'paste special' command. This works fine as long as I
do not close the document. However, when I save the document and
reopen it, most (but not all) of these links have become invalid.

Is this a known issue, and is there a way to avoid it? Using
bookmarks is a very laborious option which I prefer to avoid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Arne,

As you've discovered, links to cells in an embedded Excel object don't work. A workaround is to link to an external Excel file -
which may be the preferable course for both the table and the individual cell references.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Arne" wrote in message news
Hello,

I am writing an instruction in which certain values are mentiioned which
change from time to time. To increase maintainability, I linked these values
to cells in an exceel sheet that is embedded at the end of the document by
copying them as unformatted text using the 'link' option of the 'paste
special' command. This works fine as long as I do not close the document.
However, when I save the document and reopen it, most (but not all) of these
links have become invalid.

Is this a known issue, and is there a way to avoid it? Using bookmarks is a
very laborious option which I prefer to avoid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hmm, it seems as if I need to pay attention to the *subject* line...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Arne" wrote in message
news
Hello,

I am writing an instruction in which certain values are mentiioned which
change from time to time. To increase maintainability, I linked these
values
to cells in an exceel sheet that is embedded at the end of the document
by
copying them as unformatted text using the 'link' option of the 'paste
special' command. This works fine as long as I do not close the document.
However, when I save the document and reopen it, most (but not all) of
these
links have become invalid.

Is this a known issue, and is there a way to avoid it? Using bookmarks is
very laborious option which I prefer to avoid.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

.... or to the message text, for that matter... :-(

I was testing the other case--linking to an external Excel file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP