Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Congenital Kano Congenital Kano is offline

Default Form fields - adding and using entered data later in template

Did a quick search and could not find answers, so my apologies if redundant n00b questions.

Trying to create a form letter for my wife to use. Inserting a drop-down box field (populated with salutations - Mr., Mrs., Ms.) I see the properties but the field appears as a grey box on the page with no drop-down arrow or slider. If I start a new doc using this template the drop-down also does not appear, just a box populated with first item on list. Tried variations of shift, alt and ctrl clicking to get dialog to appear - no luck.

What am I missing here?

Related, I want to take a value entered into another text field (i.e., lastname or an amount) and use it later in a place in the letter. How do I reference the contents of a field typed in previously during the session in an earlier field?

TIA.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

For form fields to work, you have to protect the document. The exact steps
depend on which version of Word you are using.

To repeat data from a form field, you can use a cross-reference field; see
item 2 of the article at http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP