JPh12 JPh12 is offline
Junior Member

Default Unwanted word substitution in the entire document

I sometimes encounter this strange behavior: while running the spell checker in Word 2003 (it also happened before with Word 97), a word (A) is substituted for another (B) all over the document.

The strangeness comes from the fact that I didn't request such a replacement (it's not in my autocorrect list), and it had nothing to do with the words the spell checker was checking. Only later when reviewing the document, did I notice a substitution had occurred.

I believe it happens while the spell checker is active because at one point it pauses and the spinning blue circle appears, meaning the program is doing something. In the instances I've seen, A and B start with capital letters--I also write in French, but I don't see why it would matter.

When it happened the first time with Word97 I assumed my installation got corrupted. But now it's happening again with Word 2003 on a different machine. So, if not a bug, what can it be?

Last edited by JPh12 : December 1st 15 at 09:20 PM