AndyBear

Default Bookmarks in HTML links in Word 2003

Greetings,

I am using Word 2003 now (2000 up to now) and I am finding that when I:
select text in a source document that contains bookmarks; swap to my target
document; select 'Edit' | 'Paste Special' and 'HTML Format' & 'Paste Link' -
I end up with the nice html formatted hyperlink as I did in 2000, but now,
the bookmarks from the source document show up [] in the link *and* they have
been copied to the target document as real bookmark entries (i.e. show up in
the Bookmark list ('Insert' | 'Bookmarks')). This never used to happen.
Please tell me there is a way to stop the bookmarks being copied over when
the links are being created. Also happens if I update an existing link by the
way. These are Word 2000 format documents I'm having problems with but it
also seems to happen with new documents created with 2003.

PS Turning 'View Bookmarks' on / off in the source / target documents didn't
help. Removes the problem from view but doesn't affect the copy and paste
link behaviour.

PPS I assume Word 2000 might have done this too - but they were always
'hidden bookmarks' so I never saw it?

Thanks all.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QW5keUJlYXI=?=,

Am I not already discussing this with you in another group? This is probably a
result of the new Security considerations Microsoft was looking at when
designing Word 2003. In this case, making sure you know that there's linked
information in the document.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Andy,

To add to Cindy's reply, if you turn on the 'show paste options'
button in Tools=Options=Edit and after pasting select the
paste button icon at the end of the text selecting either
'Destination formatting' or 'Keep text only' should copy the
text without the source document bookmarks.

==========

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

AndyBear

Just FEI:

The 'Destination Formating' option doesn't remove the *OLE* bookmarks.

The 'Keep Text only' option does removes the bookmark(s) but also breaks the
link - i.e. turns the pasted link into plain text, so wasn't a suitable
option (as I am trying to form links to another (source) document as part of
the operation).

Thanks.

--
"May the Word be with you."