Lois Morrett

Default Problem with Linked Document Word 2003 SP1 Office Professional Edi

One of our business units has a linked document that when you open it says
this document conatins links that may refer to other files. Do you want to
update this document with the data from the linked filest....you reply "yes"
or "no" and when you close the document it asks if you want to save the
changes and you reply "no" and the modified date changes on the document.
This also happens in 2000 and whether I am on a network share or a local
drive.
Is there a way to fix this problem because the business unit wants to know
when the document is actually being changed and not just accessed .....
CyberTaz

I'm not certain on this, but, since nobody else has replied yet, here is my
interpretation, FWIW.

As long as the doc contains an active link, I don't believe you can avoid
the Modification Date issue. Even though no change is actually being saved
by the user there is an 'internal' change that takes place when the doc is
opened... The content from the source file is being looked at, etc.

You may want to take a look at using FileProperties for tracking file
management info rather than relying on the OS.

Regards |:)

On 8/19/05 2:45 PM, in article
, "Lois Morrett"