Quentin Grady

Default Circular tables

G'day G'day Folks,

We all know how often we use rectangular tables but it occurs to me
that often we want to describe some cyclic process.

It is tedious making arrows and putting in text boxes and getting the
whole thing to line up properly with each text box at the appropriate
angle

Well it might seem like a crazy suggestion but how about some
automation of the process, text boxes that automatically space
themselves appropriately around in a circle. Throw in choices of
arrows and text box shapes and we'd be on the way to smarter Office
presentations.

Best wishes,

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Quentin Grady

This post not CC'd by email
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:36:32 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Have you looked at the Cycle Diagram available using the Insert Diagram
button on the Drawing toolbar in Word 2002 or 2003. It does exactly what you
describe.

G'day G'day Suzanne,

Well I'm glad I asked ... even if the answered caused some
embarrassment. To put it simply, I hadn't noticed it.

Thanks and best wishes,

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
Quentin Grady

This post not CC'd by email
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:51:45 +1100, "Jezebel"
wrote:

Do you have something against pie-charts,

G'day G'day Jezebel,

As it happens a pie chart would be a really bad choice for the type
of diagram I need; ARROWS connecting text boxes in a circle.

or didn't you get that far into the Help file?

Out of curiosity how do you cope with "helpers fatigue"?

Nah, on second thoughts I don't really want to know.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Quentin Grady

This post not CC'd by email
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:47:00 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

These diagrams were new in Word 2002, and they're actually rather difficult
to use (or at least more trouble than *I'd* bother with), but they do at
least meet the minimum requirements (I think) of your description.

G'day G'day Suzanne,

I hadn't noticed them when I upgraded to 2002. To busy with other
things I guess. They worked quite nicely for the application I had in
mind today. I was able to find one with tastefully shaded arcs.

One improvement I'd like is for the arc to have arrow heads. I was
able to number the text boxes so hopefully the reader will follow the
intended progression.

Best wishes and once again thank YOU,

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Quentin Grady

This post not CC'd by email
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:07:37 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

The default AutoShapes *are* arrows. I'm not sure how you got anything
different.

G'day G'day Suzanne,

There is a set of icons, one of which shows a cycle diagram
(clockwise arrows with text boxes). The other icons show an
organisation chart, pyramid, Venn diagram, target diagram and a radial
diagram. OK, when I click on the cycle diagram I get arc shaped
blocks that a block layer might use to build a well. However, there
are no arrow heads on these arcs as shown in the original icon.
Clicking on the arc shaped blocks allows access to Colours and Lines
but that only changes the shading colours and the thickness of the
outlines. There is a Diagram tool bar and it has a Style option but
that only allows options like 3D.

Sorry nothing seems to give me arrows.

Best wishes and thanks
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Is this Word 2002? In Word 2003, the Cycle diagram has hideous blue arrow
shapes. You can use the yellow diamonds to reduce the arrow to a line, but
the honking big arrowhead is not changed (and is still a hideous blue).
There seems to be no easy way to swap the AutoShape for a different one,
though I suppose there surely must be a way of some sort.

news
wrote:

[...]

Quentin Grady

This post not CC'd by email
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:43:00 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Is this Word 2002?

G'day G'day Suzanne,

Word 2002.

In Word 2003, the Cycle diagram has hideous blue arrow
shapes. You can use the yellow diamonds to reduce the arrow to a line, but
the honking big arrowhead is not changed (and is still a hideous blue).

When I use Autoshapes, Block Arrows ... I get the yellow reshape
diamonds and the green rotational diamonds for that matter.

When I use the Diagram Gallery in Word 2002 to get the Cycle Diagram
there are NO coloured diamonds. No green diamonds. No yellow
diamonds. It would be nice if there were because with a yellow
diamond in a simple block arrow it is easy to first obtain a pentagon
and then a rectangle thus disguising the block arrow diagrams true
nature. I say it would be nice because if there was a yellow diamond
in the block arcs in the cycle diagram presumably one could reverse
the process to get a pentagon and then an arrow.

Sadly there are no yellow diamonds ... at least I have discovered the
abracadabra to make them magically appear. Do I need to update a
component ... and I don't mean to 2003?

There seems to be no easy way to swap the AutoShape for a different one,
though I suppose there surely must be a way of some sort.

Best wishes and once again thanks.
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, #,# [
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

I'm confused by our disparate experience since I'm pretty sure I
investigated these in Word 2002 and they were the same as in Word 2003, but
I could of course be wrong. I'm also curious as to how you get a pentagon
out of a block arrow (or vice versa). FWIW, the block arrows in my cycle
diagram cannot be rotated.