Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jeannette

Default Can you number a column in a database and keep it from sorting

I would like to set up a database where I have a number column so that when I
print the database it would print next to the last name and I would know how
many are there without have to go to the dataform each time. As I add new
names and sort the name column the number colunm sorts with the rest of the
database and defeats my purpose. Is there any way to get around this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
jeannette

Thank you Suzanne but I have not use SEQ fields before and I need more
instructions on how to use them. I have gone to insert, got as far as
Captions then I am lost.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use an autonumber or SEQ field.

"jeannette" wrote in message
news
I would like to set up a database where I have a number column so that

when I
print the database it would print next to the last name and I would know

how
many are there without have to go to the dataform each time. As I add

new
names and sort the name column the number colunm sorts with the rest of

the
database and defeats my purpose. Is there any way to get around this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

From the Insert menu, select Field, and then select the Seq item from the
list and in the adjacent Field codes control, add an identified (any word
will do) to be used to uniquely indentify this series of fields. After
inserting one, in this manner, the easiest way to insert the others is to
use copy and paste and then select them all and press F9 to cause the fields
to update.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.