Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Struggling Student

Default Advanced Footnote Issues

I am working on a Masters level paper that requires different formatting for
the title page of each chapters for margins and locations of page numbers
than the remaining pages within the chapter. I can accomplish this through
the use of section breaks and making the headers and footers unique to each
section.

For my footnotes, I am required to restart the number at the beginning of
each chapter. This is not an issue until I cross the first section to page 2
of each chapter. When I do this, I have only two choices for my footnotes.
I can restart them at one which gives me duplicate numbers in the same
chapter if I have any footnotes on the first page of the chapter and
additional ones in the subsequent pages. If I select a new starting number
for the second section in each chapter, the footnote "Numbering" selection
automatically defaults to "Continuous" and continues the numbering started in
the previous sections where "Continuous" was also selected.

I have tried reformatting the margins of the first page of the chapters
manually (i.e., inserting blank lines), which allows me to number the
footnotes properly. However, the page numbers in the headers and footers
become the same, and I need different formats for them as well. It seems
that I have a choice of either properly formated page numbers with messed up
footnotes numbering, or properly numbers footnotes with messed up page number
placement.

Does anyone have a solution to my dilema?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You don't need a section break to have a different format on the first page
of a section; use the "Different first page" setting. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

You may also want to look at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm and
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

"Struggling Student" Struggling wrote in
message ...