Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tryxter111

Default disappearing hyphens

I copy a reference citation from Word 2003 and paste it into Word 2000(on a
virtual desktop).
Word 2003:
compared side-Â*byÂ*-side (von Schulthess et al., Radiology 2006; 238(2):
405Â*422, Antoch et al., J Clin Oncol 2004; 22(21): 4357Â*4368, Keidar et al.,
J Nucl Med 2004; 45(10): 1640Â*1646).

and in Word 2000, it shows up as:
compared sideÂ*byÂ*side (von Schulthess et al., Radiology 2006; 238(2):
405Â*422, Antoch et al., J Clin Oncol 2004; 22(21): 4357Â*4368, Keidar et al.,
J Nucl Med 2004; 45(10): 1640Â*1646).
The same thing happens if I take the Word 2003 sentence and paste it into
an email (outlook 2003) and email it.

How do i get it to keep the hyphens?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I wonder if the hyphens are somehow being converted to optional hyphens. Do
you see hyphens if you display nonprinting characters? If so, you could use
Find and Replace (selectively, if you have other optional hyphens in the
document) to replace ^- (the code for an optional hyphen) with a hyphen.

"Tryxter111" wrote in message
I copy a reference citation from Word 2003 and paste it into Word 2000(on

virtual desktop).
Word 2003:
compared side-Â*byÂ*-side (von Schulthess et al., Radiology 2006; 238(2):
405Â*422, Antoch et al., J Clin Oncol 2004; 22(21): 4357Â*4368, Keidar et

al.,
J Nucl Med 2004; 45(10): 1640Â*1646).

and in Word 2000, it shows up as:
compared sideÂ*byÂ*side (von Schulthess et al., Radiology 2006; 238(2):
405Â*422, Antoch et al., J Clin Oncol 2004; 22(21): 4357Â*4368, Keidar et

al.,
J Nucl Med 2004; 45(10): 1640Â*1646).
The same thing happens if I take the Word 2003 sentence and paste it into
an email (outlook 2003) and email it.

How do i get it to keep the hyphens?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tryxter111

Hi Suzanne
Thanks for trying. that partially helps.
When I select tools-options-view-optional hyphens, i can see them.
But when the email is sent (or i paste it into a document and save it) the
hyphens still disappear.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I wonder if the hyphens are somehow being converted to optional hyphens. Do
you see hyphens if you display nonprinting characters? If so, you could use
Find and Replace (selectively, if you have other optional hyphens in the
document) to replace ^- (the code for an optional hyphen) with a hyphen.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you can see them only when nonprinting characters are displayed, then
they are *optional* hyphens; that means they will be displayed/printed only
if they occur at the end of a line. You have to convert them to actual
hyphens if you want them to survive emailing/pasting.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I wonder if the hyphens are somehow being converted to optional hyphens.

Do
you see hyphens if you display nonprinting characters? If so, you could

use
Find and Replace (selectively, if you have other optional hyphens in the
document) to replace ^- (the code for an optional hyphen) with a hyphen.

newsgroup so