Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Christi

Default mean or average symbol

I frequently need to insert a symbol for the "mean" or average (x with a bar
over it) in my manuscripts. The Word Perfect template in the symbols section
has such a symbol, but it won't convert in Adobe to a pdf file, which
unfortunately is how most manuscripts are submitted. Is there a way to
either convert the WP character so that Adobe will read it, or a way to make
such a symbol in Word?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

Hi Christi,

Try this:
.. Press Ctrl-F9 to create a field - you'll get a pair of field braces
looking like '{}'
.. Between the field braces, type 'EQ \s\up6(\f(,X))', so that you've got
'{EQ \s\up6(\f(,X))}'
.. Press F9 to update the field.

Depending on what font & point size you're using, you might want to change
the '6' to raise/lower the bar. You can do this by:
.. selecting the field
.. pressing Shift-F9 to expose the code
.. changing the value
.. pressing F9 to update