Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tamoeller

Default No Backup saved when "Always Create Backup Copy" checked. Why?

I have previously been saving backup copies of all Word documents
automatically by setting the program to do so by going to: Tools - Options -
Save and clicking "Always create backup copy"

Although I have rarely needed the backups, when I have it has always been a
critical situation, and the Backup copy saved me.

However, now Word is no longer saving an automatic Backup copy. And I
cannot determine why. The setting is the same. I must have inadvertantly
changed a setting somehow, and I have no idea what/how or when. Anybody have
an idea of what I can do to again automatically save a Backup copy? Help!
And Thanks! Ted Moeller - Wichita, Kansas
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you sure it's not saving? You won't see these files unless you display
"All Files" in the Open dialog. The backups are saved (in the document
folder) as "Backup of filename.wbk," so they tend to sort to the top of
the folder.

"tamoeller" wrote in message
I have previously been saving backup copies of all Word documents
automatically by setting the program to do so by going to: Tools -

Options -
Save and clicking "Always create backup copy"

Although I have rarely needed the backups, when I have it has always been

critical situation, and the Backup copy saved me.

However, now Word is no longer saving an automatic Backup copy. And I
cannot determine why. The setting is the same. I must have inadvertantly
changed a setting somehow, and I have no idea what/how or when. Anybody

have
an idea of what I can do to again automatically save a Backup copy? Help!
And Thanks! Ted Moeller - Wichita, Kansas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

This *may* be an indicatiuon of minor corruption in the settings sub key of
the Word data key in the registry (see
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm ) Temporarily rename that
subkey to (say) oldsettings and restart Word. If the problem has gone away,
you will have to restore a raft of personal settings in tools options and
autocorrect. If not, delete the new settings sub key and rename your old one
back again and see

http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm