Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Ann Mary Ann is offline

Default Space after paragraphs

I am creating a copy of our company stationery in Word. I understand the
space between our address lines is 14 pts. However, when I use Space After
14 points, the space between lines is much greater than on our printed
letterhead.

What space does Word normally create between paragraphs? I suspect it is
the same as the font size €“ is that the case?

If my font size is 7.5 points and I want to have 14 points between
paragraphs, what Space After do I need? Would a Space After of 6.5 points
then give me exactly a 14 point gap?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Mary

Mary Ann wrote:
I am creating a copy of our company stationery in Word. I understand the
space between our address lines is 14 pts.

that is 14 pt from base line to base line, right? Not "between" lines
(measuring some form of whitespace) only, I presume. Baseline to
baseline spacing is also called "leading."

However, when I use Space After
14 points, the space between lines is much greater than on our printed
letterhead.

"Space after" is after each _paragraph_.

What space does Word normally create between paragraphs? I suspect it is
the same as the font size €“ is that the case?

No. When you choose "single", you get leading between 10% and 20%,
depending on font size.

If my font size is 7.5 points and I want to have 14 points between
paragraphs, what Space After do I need? Would a Space After of 6.5 points
then give me exactly a 14 point gap?

Keep it as simple as possible: define 7.5 pt font size and "Exactly: 14
pt" leading, and no spacing before/after for your task.

HTH
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Ann Mary Ann is offline

My reply
Thanks Robert €“ thats great.

A follow up question €“ if baseline to baseline is called €œLeading€ is there
a name for the white space measurement between lines and if I did need just
that, how would I do it? Wanting to learn....

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Mary

Mary Ann wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The distance beween lines is line spacing. The extra space between
paragraphs is Spacing Before/After. The line spacing can be set to Single
(Auto), which includes the built-in font leading, Double (which doubles it),
1.5 lines (which is 150% of the Single spacing), or Multiple, which allows
you to set a specific multiple of Single spacing, including fractions less
than 1 (for example, you can compress line spacing just a hair by setting
Multiple to .99 or .98, etc.).

"At least" line spacing sets a minimum baseline-to-baseline measurement (in
point) for line spacing. This measurement will be increased if you include
text at a larger point size or any other element that requires more space
(subject to the settings in the Compatibility Options). Single, Double, and
other multiples are, in effect, also "at least" spacing and will expand as
needed. In contrast, Exactly line spacing sets the baseline distance to an
exact number of points regardless of the size of the text.

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
My reply
Thanks Robert €“ thats great.

A follow up question €“ if baseline to baseline is called €œLeading€ is

there
a name for the white space measurement between lines and if I did need

just
that, how would I do it? Wanting to learn....

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Mary