Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cycling Dude Cycling Dude is offline

Default Headers, Footers and Sections

Does there exist a clear, concise and accurate explanation of how headers and
footer interact with sections? Word insists on putting headers and footers
where I don't want. I have a pretty standard document consisting of a title
page, a table of contents and the main body of the document. I want no
headers and footers on the title page, and then different headers and footers
in the TOC and main body. Every time I do it, I have to fiddle around for at
least an hour to get it right. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason
to Word's behavior. If there is, I haven't discovered it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

There is rhyme and reason, although it is, at first, a little mysterious.

By default, each section inherits the headers and footers from the preceding
section. So unless you do something to change it, the entire document,
regardless of the number of sections, has just one set of headers and
footers. Changing a header or footer anywhere in the document will change it
for the entire document.

In any section after the first you can clear the 'Same as previous' button
on the Headers and Footers toolbar. That 'breaks the chain' between that
section and the preceding one. If you have a document with ten sections and
you got to section 5 and clear 'Same as previous' for the header. You now
have two headers: one for sections 1 to 4, and one for sections 5 onwards.
If you go to section 10 and change the header, it will affect all of
sections 5 to 10.

It can can very confusing if you have continuous section breaks: if there
are several on one page, the headers and footers for the intermediate
sections might not be displayed at all; then you insert some new material,
the intermediate section now falls across a page boundary, and you're
suddenly back to a header you thought you deleted two weeks ago.

A further complication: On File Page setup you can choose different
headers and footers for the first page of the section, and/or for odd/even
pages. You can make this setting different for each section. In your case
you have two sections: title page and TOC; different header for the first
page (ie no header or footer on the title page); then section 2 for the
body: no different first page, not same as previous.

"Cycling Dude" wrote in message
Does there exist a clear, concise and accurate explanation of how headers
and
footer interact with sections? Word insists on putting headers and footers
where I don't want. I have a pretty standard document consisting of a
title
page, a table of contents and the main body of the document. I want no
headers and footers on the title page, and then different headers and
footers
in the TOC and main body. Every time I do it, I have to fiddle around for
at
least an hour to get it right. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or
reason
to Word's behavior. If there is, I haven't discovered it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cycling Dude Cycling Dude is offline

Perhaps my problem is with the location of the sections. In my example, it
seems to me that the obvious location for a section break is at the beginning
of the TOC. However, if I place the cursor at the beginning of the TOC and
insert a section break, Word locates the section break at the end of the
1 or section 2.

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The section break is a sort of Janus. If it says "Continuous" or "Next Page"
or whatever, it is defining the section start type for the section that
follows, but it also holds the formatting for the section that precedes it.

"Cycling Dude" wrote in message
Perhaps my problem is with the location of the sections. In my example, it
seems to me that the obvious location for a section break is at the

beginning
of the TOC. However, if I place the cursor at the beginning of the TOC and
insert a section break, Word locates the section break at the end of the

section
1 or section 2.