Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pascale Pascale is offline

Default problems with my footer

Hello
I am working with Word 2003. I have 2 problems
1-when I go in my footer, not only does my toolbar with the "insert auto
text" and all the buttoms does not appear, but I can't modify my tabs. It
feels as if my doc is frozen and right at the bottom of my screen next to my
dictionary preferences (English UK) I have an icon of a book been written by
a pencil. This will stay as long as I am in my footer and seems to make the
whole doc un-responsive.
I have already copied and pasted this doc to a new word doc in the hope it
would have an effect. no effect!
2-in the same doc, my last page is "landscape" where as the previous ones
are "portrait". To do that I selected a section break (next page). Somehow in
my last page I have a header/footer with a Section3 starting there. This is
messing completly my auto page numbering with this last page reading page 1
to 9 (which should be page 8)
Can you please help. Ahead many thanks.
Pascale
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

1. Absence of AutoText entries usually means that a document has been saved
as Normal.dot. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm.

The status bar icon is the Spelling and Grammar Status indicator. If it is
locking up the document, try disabling "Check spelling/grammar as you type"
on the Spelling & Grammar tab of Tools | Options.

2. When you inserted a landscape page, you created a new section. You
evidently have numbering set to start at 1 in Section 2. In the
header/footer for Section 3, click Format Page Number on the Header and
Footer toolbar and choose "Continue from previous section."

If you want the "number of pages" in your document to be 8 rather than the
total 9, then you'll need a workaround. The default NumPages field will not
work, nor will SectionPages since you're trying to count two sections. Given
that Section 3 is (and apparently always will be) only one page, you could
use { = { SectionPages} + 1 }. Otherwise, you'll need to set a bookmark on
the last page and insert a cross-reference (PageRef) to the page number of
that bookmark instead of the NumPages field.

"Pascale" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pascale Pascale is offline

Sorry Suzanne to bother you. I thought what you said would do the trick but no.
I can't delete my normal.dot. When I try, I kept on having a window popping
up which read:
"Can't delete normal: the file is in use by the following programme:
Microsoft Word File
You must close the file before proceding"
And before you ask: Of course I closed every programme and file except outlook
Can you help please. Thanks Pascale (Oh Merry Christmas and Happy New Year)

"Pascale" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You must close Word (and Outlook if you're using Word as the email editor in
Outlook) before you can rename (*not* delete!) Normal.dot.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Pascale" wrote in message
[...]

Header Footer Problems Hans Page Layout 2 February 9th 06 08:15 PM
header and footer problems [email protected] New Users 2 October 28th 05 06:09 PM
Footer Printing Problems Ron New Users 1 March 12th 05 08:33 PM
footer problems from wordperfect to word Daveybau Microsoft Word Help 1 February 5th 05 12:32 AM
Change Footer on pg 2 to be different then the footer on pg 1 Ted Microsoft Word Help 5 January 19th 05 05:45 PM