Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tanja Tanja is offline

Default How do I keep Style changes from modifying other Styles in Word 20

I'm having difficulty with paragraph-level changes in one Word style (e.g.
indents, etc) unexpectedly changing other unlinked (as far as I can tell)
document styles.

I create all new styles based on No Style, and I have the 'Disable Linked
Styles'
option at the bottom of the taskbar checked - but despite this, when I
create a new style, many (but not all) of my other document styles
spontaneously update themselves to match the indent parameters I've set for
the new one. I haven't managed to identify what characterises the styles
that do update vs the ones that don't yet.

The same thing seems to happen if I go into the 'Modify Styles' dropdown
from the Styles taskbar and change an indent value numerically.

The only workaround I've found is to change the indent on the ruler, select
the paragraph I've change, and use the 'update Style to match selection' -
for some reason, this doesn't create the same problem. However, I'm sure
there must be an option I can check or uncheck to stop it happening in the
first place (there was in Word 2003).

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Regards

TANJA
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

Start he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm

Dan

Tanja wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tanja Tanja is offline

Default How do I keep changes from modifying other Styles in Word 2007

Hi Dan - thanks for this, and yes, after delinking the style in question from
the Normal style, it's exactly how I would have stopped the problem happening
in Word 2003.

Unfortunately, in Word 2007, I can't find the equivalent option in the
'Modify Style' dialogue box when I go in to change the Normal (or any other)
style - the 'Automatically Update' check box I'm used to in previous versions
of Word isn't evident anywhere obvious.

Any suggestions as to a next step?

Thanks again for your time

TANJA

"Dan Freeman" wrote:

Start he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

Sorry, I missed the 2007 in the subject.

I don't have 2007 (and likely won't for some time). Hopefully someone else
will jump in here.

Dan