Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Atchleykl Atchleykl is offline

Default corrupt document

I have a word doc made in Word 2000. When I try to open it with 2003 it says
it needs to be converted. When it converts the document it's a bunch of
boxes and other symbals. Any ideas on how to save this document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Make a copy of the Word 2000 file, and then try using the Open and
Repair option in Word 2003 to open the copy. You don't see an Open and
Repair option in Word 2003? In Word 2003, click on File | Open, click
on the little black downward-pointing triangle at the right end of the
Open button, and click on Open and Repair.

Atchleykl wrote:

I have a word doc made in Word 2000. When I try to open it with 2003 it says
it needs to be converted. When it converts the document it's a bunch of
boxes and other symbals. Any ideas on how to save this document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Atchleykl Atchleykl is offline

The Open & Repair option did not come up for me but I was able to manually
select it from your directions. Unfortuately, it is still garbled. Do I
have any other options to try? I have to recover this document, it's my
final project for class and I don't have time to redo it nor did I make a
back up. I know, huge mistake!

Atchleykl wrote:

I have a word doc made in Word 2000. When I try to open it with 2003 it says
it needs to be converted. When it converts the document it's a bunch of
boxes and other symbals. Any ideas on how to save this document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
socrtwo socrtwo is offline

Try opening the file from the Open choice on the File Menu, but on the
drop down menu for choosing which kind of document to open, instead of
All Word documents, try choosing "Recover text from any File (*.*)".
It's above the choice for "Schedule+ Contacts (*.scd)" and below the
choice to open "Personal Address Book (*.pab)".

Atchleykl wrote:

I have a word doc made in Word 2000. When I try to open it with 2003 it says
it needs to be converted. When it converts the document it's a bunch of
boxes and other symbals. Any ideas on how to save this document?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

~$ Russ Microsoft Word Help 21 February 5th 08 06:48 PM
adding headers and footers to a word document PhilB Microsoft Word Help 12 October 10th 06 07:13 PM
Can't get Word 2003 to keep data file with mail merge main documen Yourcareercoach Mailmerge 9 August 10th 06 12:19 PM
Mail Merge Data Question Tom Bean Mailmerge 7 May 26th 06 12:02 AM
Corrupt fonts when printing a merged document Mark J Barefoot Mailmerge 3 March 20th 05 08:17 PM