Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stampie Stampie is offline

Default Calculations in Word 2003 Table

Tried asking this in another newsgroup but they suggested that I come to a
Word Newsgroup to find my answer faster...

Been asked by a user who is looking to create a table in Word to find a way
to get some of the cells to become (like Excel) calculatable (if there is
such a word).

I first thought that copying the cells from a worksheet (with formulae in)
and do a Edit Paste Special MS Excel worksheet object...

It looked like it worked ok, but that was not what the user wanted since
they only wanted one cell to input a figure in, another one to input a
percentage and a third (all in seperate cells in the Word table) which would
display the outcome of the formula (=A1*A2%)...

Also tried a Nested Table, but that is just a copy and paste of the single
cell with no formula or border and so doesn't change when the other cells are
altered.

Are there any other methods? Or am I asking the impossible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Put the figure in cell A1
Put the percentage in cell A2 (entered as e.g. 10%)
Put a formula field in A3
{ =A1*A2 }
Update the field (CTRA+A then F9) or use a macro - see example at

Stampie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stampie Stampie is offline

Ok think I have that, but it can't seem to link with the spreadsheet with the
info on...

I'm trying to have this so that after creating the document it cuts out
Excel altogether...

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Put the figure in cell A1
Put the percentage in cell A2 (entered as e.g. 10%)
Put a formula field in A3
{ =A1*A2 }
Update the field (CTRA+A then F9) or use a macro - see example at

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I had assumed you wanted to do all of it in Word, in which case where does
Excel still come in?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Put the figure in cell A1
Put the percentage in cell A2 (entered as e.g. 10%)
Put a formula field in A3
{ =A1*A2 }
Update the field (CTRA+A then F9) or use a macro - see example at

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stampie Stampie is offline

I do... The bit that i'm not understanding is after updating a field it comes
up in bold lettering...

'Error! Bookmark not defined.'

Which is why i'm trying to link in Excel... Or is this supposed to happen
and I just need to do something else in Word?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I had assumed you wanted to do all of it in Word, in which case where does
Excel still come in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Let's start with a simple table created in Word
Type a number in cell A1 (that'sthe first cell in Word)
in the cell beneath it (A2) type 10%
in the cell beneath that (A3) type CTRL+F9
which will give you {}
between the brackets type =A1*A2
thus {=A1*A2}
Toggle the display ALT+F9 then F9 to update. A3 should show a figure 10% of
the figure in A1
Where is what you are doing differing from this?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I had assumed you wanted to do all of it in Word, in which case
where does Excel still come in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stampie Stampie is offline

Ahhh I see now! I was actually putting the { } symbols with the data and
percentage in the other cells aswell as the one to display the total...
Obviously i've not been shown anything like this before to know that until
now...

Also it didn't make sense with me not having the cell references correct
(equivilant of cells D3 - D5)!

Thanks greatly, was about to give up on this and say it couldn't be done!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Let's start with a simple table created in Word
Type a number in cell A1 (that'sthe first cell in Word)
in the cell beneath it (A2) type 10%
in the cell beneath that (A3) type CTRL+F9
which will give you {}
between the brackets type =A1*A2
thus {=A1*A2}
Toggle the display ALT+F9 then F9 to update. A3 should show a figure 10% of
the figure in A1
Where is what you are doing differing from this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The only minor issue is that the calculated field will not update
automatically (as it would in Excel) and so you have to force an update if
you make any changes to the number/percentage.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Let's start with a simple table created in Word
Type a number in cell A1 (that'sthe first cell in Word)
in the cell beneath it (A2) type 10%
in the cell beneath that (A3) type CTRL+F9
which will give you {}
between the brackets type =A1*A2
thus {=A1*A2}
Toggle the display ALT+F9 then F9 to update. A3 should show a figure
10% of the figure in A1
Where is what you are doing differing from this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stampie Stampie is offline

Is there any way at all of making this an instant update? Or any other
alternatives to achieving the same task in question?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The only minor issue is that the calculated field will not update
automatically (as it would in Excel) and so you have to force an update if
you make any changes to the number/percentage.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you use form fields to collect the numbers and a calculated field (this
time it would have to catch the bookmarks that are the form field names
rather than the cell locations - e.g {={REF Text1} * {REF Text2}} then
provided the field is not in a header/footer and you have checked the
calculate on exit text boxes of the fields that contribute to the
calculation it will update automatically as you tab out of the form fields.

The disadvantage with this is that a document locked for forms severely
curtails what else you can do with that document. Adding the macro code from
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm to update the field to a toolbar
button in the document's template would be a better solution if you want to
retain editing capabilities throughout the document.

Calculations in Table peg84 Tables 3 January 21st 07 04:00 PM
Calculations in a word table Latham Tables 3 June 28th 06 12:25 PM
Calculations in Word 2003 Yappy Box Microsoft Word Help 3 January 13th 06 04:40 PM
formatting table data after fix to Error in Word Calculations nojar Tables 1 June 14th 05 02:35 PM
How can I add multiple table calculations in word? stheo Tables 4 May 9th 05 01:09 PM