Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Default Keyboard shortcuts in Word 2007 Template

Hi,

I converted a Word 2003 template to a Word 2007 template and I lost my
keyboard shortcuts! What's worse, I can't add them back in via the Office
Button -- Word Options -- Customize -- Customize dialog.

Actually, I can add the keyboard shortcuts back in, but when I save and
re-open the template, the shortcuts are gone.

Interestingly, I can assign keys that weren't used in the 2003 template, but
I can't assign the keys that were "lost". Keys the weren't used before show
up as "Currently assigned to: [unassigned]". The keys that were lost do not
say "[unassigned]". They just say "Currently assigned to:", followed by
empty space.

Am I missing something?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi John,

Can you give the steps you are using to 'convert' the template and what are some of the keyboard shortcuts you had assigned. (There
are a few that are reserved for Officewide use).

In the Customize Keyboard dialog what template does it show the changes being saved to and if you Save changes to a specific
document then close Word and reopen the document do those show as assigned?

=============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Hi Bob,

First, while in Word 2003, I deleted our custom toolbar and menu commands.
Then I opened the template in Word 2007 and saved it as a 2007 template.

That left me with two commands that appeared in the "Toolbar Command" group
in the "Add-Ins" tab. I deleted these by right clicking and selecting
"Delete Custom Command".

Then I added my RibbonX UI via the Custom UI Editor. Next I added in the
macros to handle the RibbonX callbacks.

At that point I noticed I had lost my old keyboard shortcuts and could not
replace them.

The shortcuts that work were like: Ctrl+E, Ctrl+I, Alt+1, Alt+2, and several
more. The ones that don't work a Alt+B, Alt+K, Alt+Y, Ctrl+.,
Ctrl+Shift+L, Ctrl+Shift+S, Alt+Q, and a few more.

The Customize Keyboard dialog shows the changes being saved in my template,
i.e. the one I added the RibbonX and all to.

Not sure I understand your last suggestion. I created a regular Word
document, and connected Alt+B to a Word command and it was saved ok. I also
tried loading my template as an add-in and saving a keyboard shortcut to one
of its macros in a regular document, but when I opened the regular document
and loaded my template again, I could not even see my macros.

Thanks,
John