Colin Higbie

Default Can a section break be embedded in a chapter heading?

My goal is to be able to easily print a chapter. I understand I can just say
"ch3" in the print range (like we can in WordPerfect). However, I could do
"s3" to print that "section."

Is there a way to embed a section break in every Chapter Heading style? That
way, s3 would be chapter 3 (chapter 2 actually, because there's a separate
section break in the beginning, but the principle is the same).

Thanks,
Colin

Unfortunately, no. Word has a "Page break before" property that can be
applied to paragraphs and paragraph styles, but no "Section break before."
If you think about it, you will see that this would be indescribably complex
because the paragraph style would then have to incorporate not just the
section start type but also all the information contained in a section break
about the section formatting: page size and orientation, margins, number of
columns, line numbering, whether endnotes are suppressed, printer tray
selection, etc.--in short, all the settings in Word's Page Setup dialog.

"Colin Higbie" wrote in message
My goal is to be able to easily print a chapter. I understand I can just

say
"ch3" in the print range (like we can in WordPerfect). However, I could do
"s3" to print that "section."

Is there a way to embed a section break in every Chapter Heading style?

That
way, s3 would be chapter 3 (chapter 2 actually, because there's a separate
section break in the beginning, but the principle is the same).

Thanks,
Colin

Colin Higbie

Is there a some other way to achieve my objective of being able to print any
given chapter, without have to find the first and last page every time, and
then printing that page range?

Thanks,
Colin

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Unfortunately, no. Word has a "Page break before" property that can be
applied to paragraphs and paragraph styles, but no "Section break before."
If you think about it, you will see that this would be indescribably
complex
because the paragraph style would then have to incorporate not just the
section start type but also all the information contained in a section
break
about the section formatting: page size and orientation, margins, number
of
columns, line numbering, whether endnotes are suppressed, printer tray
selection, etc.--in short, all the settings in Word's Page Setup dialog.

so
all may benefit.

"Colin Higbie" wrote in message
My goal is to be able to easily print a chapter. I understand I can just

say
"ch3" in the print range (like we can in WordPerfect). However, I could
do
"s3" to print that "section."

Is there a way to embed a section break in every Chapter Heading style?

That
way, s3 would be chapter 3 (chapter 2 actually, because there's a
separate
section break in the beginning, but the principle is the same).

Thanks,
Colin

Jay Freedman

Hi Colin,

You can easily insert a section break just before each chapter title
manually, replacing the page break that I assume you have there now. It's
just that there's no way to include the section break in the definition of a
paragraph style. After you do so, you can print "s3" or whatever.

The sections don't have to have any attributes different from one another
(margins, headers/footers, etc.) -- they can serve as just "divisions" for
printing.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

[...]