Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mick M Mick M is offline

Default dashes / hyphens in Word.

I find that when I use the dash / hyphen key, on the keyboard between 0 and
=, sometimes I get a short line and sometimes the longer one. I know I am not
using the shift key to create the _ symbol by mistake. I cannot see any
pattern to it, it just happens. I seem to recall this has happened to me
previously on a different PC.

Can anyone help? I don't mind which length of dash I'm given I just want it
to be consistent.

Thank you all,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Mick M" wrote:
I find that when I use the dash / hyphen key, on the keyboard between 0
and
=, sometimes I get a short line and sometimes the longer one. I know I
am not using the shift key to create the _ symbol by mistake. I cannot
see any pattern to it, it just happens. I seem to recall this has happened
to me previously on a different PC.

Can anyone help? I don't mind which length of dash I'm given I just want
it to be consistent.

Thank you all,

Hi Mick,

It's "AutoFormat as you type" kicking in, changing hyphen to dashes.
There's an option to turn that on/off in "Tools AutoCorrect options...
AutoFormat as you type".

There are rules for when to use dashes or hyphens... and Word's guesses seem
pretty good in choosing the correct type in English.
I've turned it off though since it doesn't work so well in German, and like
you I like to have control over such things myself.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mick M Mick M is offline

Hello Klaus,

Many thanks for your interest. I have followed your advice and unchecked the
item you referred to. It's now a matter of wait and see how it goes.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

M.