Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rathish Rathish is offline

Default Average calculation

I have a small situation and I am not able to find a workaround for that.
I would really be grateful if you could help me on the same.
The problem is that I am trying to calculate the average of 10 rows of a
table with the help of fields.

For example, we have used cells B2 to B11 to calculate
the average, in cell B12 i have inserted the formula as =Average(B2:B11).
This formula correctly calculates the average value based on the cell
references given.
If i have to delete a row from in between the table. In
this case what word does is that it changes the cell references. So the
calculation cell which was B12 in table A is now referenced as B11 which
contains the formula =Average(B2:B11). So indirectly the average figure
present in the last row is being taken in the calculation itself because of
changes in the referencing.
Can any one help us in solving this problem. Is there any work around
available,
which will allow cell references to get updated when a row is being deleted
or if you have any other suggestion please let me know about the same.
I would be very thank full to you.

Regards
Rathish
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word is not Excel and unlike Excel it does not intelligently reconstruct
formulae if you add or remove cells/rows. The only ways to do this are to
re-insert the correct formula
or
Use bookmarks instead of cell references
or
do all the calculations in Excel and link the relevant part of the table
into Word.

Rathish wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rathish Rathish is offline

Can any one help me to resolve to get out this situation of calculating the
Average? Is their any macro that i can use ? please help me out.

Rathish wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rathish Rathish is offline

Dear Sir,
As suggested by you i tried two options out of three the third option that
is to link excel with word can you please suggest the way to do it. I would
be very thankfull to you.

Rathish wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Reproduce your table in Excel. Select the table and copy to the clipboard.
Edit Paste special as a link into Word. Use Excel to make the calculations
and Word simply as a vehicle to display and print.

Rathish wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rathish Rathish is offline

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I will try this out and let you know if it
worked or not. I hope if i required any help in future i can come to you.

Thanks & Regards
Rathish