Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Harry H. Harry H. is offline

Default Help with Formatting Percentages in Mail Merge Master Document

I am using Word 2003 to create letters the merge payroll data from an Excel
2003 spreadsheet.

Graham Major's formatting instructions (
http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm ) have helped immensly to
display the currency and date fields properly.

However, I can't seem to get the percentage format to work.

The suggested "{ ={MERGEFIELD "Percent_Increase" } * 100\* "0%" }" renders
"!Syntax Error, {"

If I use: { MERGEFIELD "Percent_Increase" * 100\* "0%" } it renders "0%"
for an input value of 5.00% (on the Excel spreadsheet).

If I use: { MERGEFIELD "Percent_Increase" * 100\* "0.00%" } it renders
"0.05%" for an input value of 5.00% (on the Excel spreadsheet).

If I use: { MERGEFIELD "Percent_Increase" * 100\* "0.0%" } it renders
"0.1%" for an input value of 5.00% (on the Excel spreadsheet).

Note: All of the column names in the Excel spreadsheet show up in the Word
master document enclosed in quotation marks (i.e., ").

I've been trying many different combinations of the suggested mergefield
code, but to no avail. Basically, it appears that the multiplication by 100
is not effective.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Harry H. Harry H. is offline

Thank you Graham...

For some reason, we just can't get the nested braces (i.e., {...}) to work
without a syntax error. I had a couple of people check my fomulation
vis-a-vis your suggested code, and we tried lots of different combinations of
spacing (before/after braces, equal sign, etc.), but we just couldn't get it
to work. We have to get this done, so I went back to the Excel spreadsheet
and performed the multiplication (by 100) there, and that allowed use of the
formatting on the Word master document without the nested braces.

Nonetheless, I've bookmarked your writeup on mail merge formatting for
future reference.

Thank you...

Harry H. wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This information is posted in large face bold red type at the top of the web
page
Sometimes you have to be able to read what you see on the page and copy it
correctly - like my name and the switch shown in the original post