Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LINDA LINDA is offline

Default Can Word 2007 apply a zip code bar code to envelopes?

Do I need some kind of update for my Word 2007. It doesnot allow me to print
out a zipcode bar code on my envelopes, yet Word 2003 does
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can't simply check the barcode box in the Envelope dialog anymore,
but you can still manually insert the { BARCODE } field on your
envelope. Note that Word's postal barcodes do not comply with current
USPS regulations. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=897290 "The
POSTNET bar code that Word generates no longer qualifies for USPS bulk
mailing discounts" for more information.

LINDA wrote:

Do I need some kind of update for my Word 2007. It doesnot allow me to print
out a zipcode bar code on my envelopes, yet Word 2003 does

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

LINDA wrote:
Do I need some kind of update for my Word 2007. It doesnot allow me
to print out a zipcode bar code on my envelopes, yet Word 2003 does

It's kind of useless, because the post office no longer uses the PostNet
barcode format that Word creates (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290).
That's why the check box was removed from the Envelopes dialog in Word 2007.

If you really want it, you can still do it manually. Use the Add To document
button to insert the envelope as a new page in the document. Select the zip
code, and insert a bookmark named ZIP to surround it. Position the cursor
where you want the barcode, press Ctrl+F9 to create a pair of field markers,
and insert this field code inside them:

BARCODE ZIP \b

Press F9 to update the field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aedcone aedcone is offline

Yes, I really want to add the bar code to my envelopes... but since I am
coming from Word 2000, I have no clue what you mean by the folliowing: