Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mfogar01 mfogar01 is offline

Default Chapter and section numbering in Word 2007

Hi,

I want to do what seems like a very basic thing in word 2007. I want to have
styles called chapter, section1, section2, section3 where the numbers on the
sections indicate levels.

Basically i want to have a document with the following type of structure

chapter 1
section 1
section 1.1
section 1.2
section 2
chapter 2
section 2

where the numbering is automatically taken care of.

This ought to be easy and is one of the most common things needed by anyone
structuring an engineering document. I cannot find anything ready-made
built-in or a simple description of how to do it myself.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The basics of outline numbering are detailed at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. The way the
principles are applied are a little different in Word 2007, but others here
who are using that version can tell you what you need to do differently; I
believe it has to do with using "Define new multi-level list."

"mfogar01" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mfogar01 mfogar01 is offline

Thanks Suzanne. Unfortunately the devil is in the details. I had seen tbat
article you cite which is already pretty complicated. Even leaving that
aside, as you say, Word 2007 is different and I cannot follow the same
approach.

"mfogar01" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mfogar01 mfogar01 is offline

The following link http://www.mcse.ms/message2555554.html gave me the steps I
needed. A standard template for engineering documents with numbered styles
for chapter and section headings is badly needed.