Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jboeg632

Default Why am I getting 0 instead of data in a mail merge?

I am trying to create a mail merge from an Excel file, and the only problem
that I am having is that in the "zip code" column when put into the mail
merge only comes up as 0's. Why is that? How do I fix it?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?amJvZWc2MzI=?=,

I am trying to create a mail merge from an Excel file, and the only problem
that I am having is that in the "zip code" column when put into the mail
merge only comes up as 0's.

Without knowing the version of Word, it's not easy to give a definitive
answer. Probably, you're using Word 2002 or 2003 and the information in the
Zip column is mixed numeric and non-numeric? In that case, select the entire
column, go to the Data menu and use the Text to Columns tool. Set the column
specifically to be "TEXT" (not general or numeric). SAVE the change, link the
data back into the mail merge document, and test.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org