Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Derby Derby is offline

Default Problem with tables in columns

Hi everyone and thanks for any help you can offer.
I am using XP Pro with Word 2003.

I have an 8.5 x 11 document that is split into two vertical columns. At the
top of the left column on the first page I have inserted a single cell table
and inside the table is my heading for the information to follow. Under the
table I list my data. When I have listed all of one type of data (regardless
of how many full or partial colums it fills) I insert a column break to start
the next type of data in a new column.

Now the problem. After inserting the column break I have a space at the top
of the next column. When I insert my next single cell table (for the next
heading), it is not at the top of the column because of the space.

I can not figure out how to get subsequent tables to align to the top of the
column. The table I start the first column with is always at the top, but
after each column break I end up with a space that I can't get rid of. Any
suggestions?

Thanks - you guys are always a great help.

Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Word seemingly inserts the extra paragraph mark because it wants to prevent
you from accidentally concatenating two consecutive tables -- even though
you don't have two consecutive tables.

Since you're using a one cell table, however, you can accomplish the same
formatting aim by substituting an "In line with text" text box, instead of a
single cell table. Word doesn't exhibit the same compunction with respect to
text boxes as it does for tables, so you should be able to accomplish the
desired formatting aim.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Derby" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Derby Derby is offline

Thanks to both Herb & Suzanne.

I haven't worked a lot with Text Boxes, but I think I follow what you're
suggesting so I'll try that.

I also tried your suggestion Suzanne and it worked as well. The downside
here, unless I'm missing something, is if I later edit the first column and
either add or lose some lines I'll have to manually enter/delete extra lines
to force my table back to the top of the second column. Is that correct? (It
just seems kind of clumsy, but maybe that's the best we can do.)

Another thing I though of, but haven't tried yet, is to let the paragraph
insignia (white space) show at the top of the second column. Then select the
paragraph insignia and change that line only to one-point font with no before
or after spacing. Does that seem doable?

Thanks again,
Jim

"Derby" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I tried that before responding, but the 2nd column table still wasn't
parallel to the 1st column table. Another alternative would be to
arbitrarily insert a blank paragraph before the 1st table. It's wasted
space, but it does provide the desired symmetry.

--

"Derby" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you have extra lines, then you have not followed my suggestion. Instead
of inserting empty paragraphs, select the row you want to go to the next
column, and as many following it as necessary, and format as "Keep with
next" (Format | Paragraph | Line and Page Breaks). If you add a toolbar
button for KWN, it's very easy to switch this formatting on and off.

"Derby" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Derby Derby is offline

Thanks Suzanne. You're right that I didn't fully understand your suggestion.
Now I've gone back and reworked it and I can see what you're telling me to do.

I was trying to insert enough paragraphs before the new heading to "force"
the new heading (single cell table) into the next column. You're telling me
to insert the new heading and the subsequent data, then format the heading
and data to "keep with next". Because the data won't fit in the present
column it takes the data and the heading (keep with next) over to the next
column.

Thanks again,
Jim

"Derby" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

By George, I think you've got it! For more along these general lines, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ksInTables.htm, keeping in
mind that much that applies to page breaks also applies to column breaks.
Unfortunately, there is no "Column break before" formatting (comparable to
"Page break before"), which would be quite useful in such instances as this.

"Derby" wrote in message
[...]

Changing Columns to Tables Margaret ET[_2_] Microsoft Word Help 2 May 2nd 07 05:04 PM
columns to tables to excel [email protected] Tables 3 December 10th 06 05:06 PM
Tables & Columns Gail Naylor Tables 3 April 24th 06 01:56 PM
columns and tables daisymade New Users 2 January 6th 05 08:37 AM