Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nat Nat is offline

Default Formatting issue

I have a question regarding formatting. A co-worker has created multiple
documents using Word 07, and she is using the Courier New font in size 14.
The document looks great on her screen, however when the document prints out,
there are quite often spacing issues in the printed copy. I have checked the
spacing, the fonts to see if there is anything out of the ordinary. I
double-checked to make sure Kerning was not selected. What else could you
suggest to check or try??

Maybe it is a print setting .. who knows.

Thanks so much,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

Nat,

I'm not for sure I understand what is causing your problem. But, your
document wouldn't have justified paragraph formatting, would it? The Courier
New font is a monospaced font. Every character in a monospaced font has the
same width, including the space character (unless justified)! In the Courier
New, the lowercase i has the same width as the uppercase M. If the paragraph
formatting is set ragged, the space in the Courier New font should be the
same width as every other character -- after all, that was how it was
designed.

The Courier New font is only a good choice if you need every character to
line up with the characters in the next line. Because of that, it is a
favored font for computer programmers. Word's VBA editor uses Courier New as
their default font. And it is a good font anytime when one is laying out
tabulated data. Aside from that, the Courier New font, in my opinion, is a
poor choice for most other types of text. But if one does decide to use it,
the text looks better if the right edge is set ragged rather than justified.

But you're suggesting that the font looks fine on screen and that the
problem is just when it is printed. I don't know what would cause that. If
you have a ragged right edge, it shouldn't be a problem.

Steven Craig Miller