Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John John is offline

Default Normal.dotm and NormalEmail.dotm

I have a question regarding Normal.dotm and NormalEmail.dotm in Word 2007

I am using Windows XP SP3 with Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 and
Office 2007

In a previous version of Office it was possible to copy macros, auto text
and styles via the Organizer method thereby sharing those items with other
coworkers. In trying to copy macros in 2007 via the Organizer method I
noticed that my Normal.dotm and NormalEmail.dotm always have temp files
active. I closed Word 2007 and Outlook 2007 and looked at those files via My
Computer dialog box/path.

Those two temp files are always active. Is that normal? Should they not be
deleting automatically with the closure of those programs?

If this is not normal, what areas should I be checking to see what is
triggering those files to stay open?

Because they are active I am not able to copy the macros to a different
computer.

Do you have any suggestions on this subject.

Thank you,
John
--
John R.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the lock files are still present when they are no longer being accessed,
they are either left-overs from a stalled Word session, in which case simply
delete them, or they are remaining because something in your configuraion is
preventing them from being deleted. See
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm. I trust that
you are not trying to share the normal template between users?

You can still copy styles and macros using the organizer, but not autotext
which is handled differently in Word 2007.

John wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John John is offline

I am not sharing the Normal.dotm template. However, there is a template file
on our server that we all share, or that I use to share the macros and styles
with other work stations.

While copying the macros from the template on the server into one of the
workstations Normal.dotm New Macros module. At the "save to Normal" portion
of the procedure I received an error message that stated I could not save
because the file was already in use and then that it was a read only file.

On this workstation, and all the other workstations, the file location is
set for Workgroup Template as the server template folder
(G/Templates/template file and the User Template as the normal path of C/Docs
and setting/user name/application data/microsoft/templates/Normal.dotm .

Stranger still is that even though I could not save the above copied macros
to the global template. I could exit out of the macros module, go back to
word and type in and save a single macro to the global template.

Also, if I chose to save the copied macros to a different template than
Normal template, the directory that immediately shows is the location of the
server Template file. I should be asked to save to the Microsoft Template
folder where the Normal.dotm resides. Right?

Thank you for your help,

--
John R.

John wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Unlike Word 2003 which offers the user template folder for new template
saves, Word 2007 can use templates from any trusted folder location, so does
not. If you want the macros to be always available from the new template
then it should be saved in the Word Startup Folder as defined at Word
Options Advanced File Locations Startup.

John wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John John is offline

Thank you for all your help and advice on this subject. I had forgotten
about the Startup Folder option and will consider that at this point. I will
look over your previous websites also.

I appreciate having this discussion group and expert advice option available.
--
John R.

Normal.dotm Ed K Microsoft Word Help 1 December 16th 08 03:31 AM
Normal.dotm andrswal Microsoft Word Help 2 May 30th 08 03:21 PM
Normal.dotm dslocum[_9_] Microsoft Word Help 2 May 3rd 08 06:17 AM
Normal.dotm Sinclair Microsoft Word Help 10 January 8th 08 07:38 PM
Normal.dotm Rick Microsoft Word Help 1 August 30th 07 06:45 AM