Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roxy Roxy is offline

Default Mail merge template

How do I set up a mail merge template using an excel file as the database but
keep formating of the width of a field so a label uses set number of
characters despite the length of a specific field within excel file?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Roxy,

You can't. If the data need to be truncated, you have to do that at the data source.

Alternatively, if you put the mergefields into table cells of the required fixed width, that will limit the amount of text that will
be displayed. Do note, however, that this only works as a character limiter if you're using a fixed-width font (eg Courier). If you
use a proportional-width font, the number of characters that will fit varies according to the individual character widths. In both
cases, you'll need to be careful with the cell widths, as you're liable to end up with parts of characters printing at the end of
the cell - you're unlikely to be able to prevent this with a proportional-width font.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Roxy" wrote in message ...
How do I set up a mail merge template using an excel file as the database but
keep formating of the width of a field so a label uses set number of
characters despite the length of a specific field within excel file?

Word 2003 pulls up my mail merge template, but doesn't complete the merge into a new Form Letter 1 Sean Steele Mailmerge 1 April 12th 07 11:04 PM
mail merge template mmdmalta Mailmerge 3 August 16th 06 04:40 AM
Template - Mail Merge - Joseph Page Layout 1 April 11th 06 07:16 AM
Template for mail merge Doug Lowe Mailmerge 2 March 16th 06 07:12 PM
MAIL MERGE TEMPLATE djb Mailmerge 1 August 27th 05 06:03 AM