Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henn9660 Henn9660 is offline

Default Appendix "pointing" to wrong appendix!

The appendices in my document are from A through U. I did not originate the
document, but have "adopted and grown it." When 'hovering' over the
appendices, the standard window appears stating "Current Document - CTRL +
Click to follow link." When I do this, I'm taken to Appendix N instead of
Appendix U. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henn9660 Henn9660 is offline

I have tried this already, and while the TOC is regenerated (correctly), the
List of Figures, which is very large, is thrown totally out of whack and
cannot be "manipulated" back. Do you know where [within] the applicable
appendix (itself) the reference is written wherein the CTRL + Click is
pointing? Maybe I could attack it that way. Thx, Jeff

Henn9660 wrote:
The appendices in my document are from A through U. I did not originate the
document, but have "adopted and grown it." When 'hovering' over the
appendices, the standard window appears stating "Current Document - CTRL +
Click to follow link." When I do this, I'm taken to Appendix N instead of
Appendix U. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com is offline

Jeff,

If the TOC is being generated from the Styles used to identify the
appendices - and it sounds like it is - then there's really no place
explicitly within the appendix itself that identifies where the link in the
TOC is pointing. It's all done "automagically" using the Styles and other
arcane bits of functionality embedded within Word itself.

In addition, it's not actually the appendix that's doing the "pointing".
Rather it's the hyperlink in the TOC that carries this information, which is
gleaned from information in the document as described above. This really
cannot be edited directly. Toggle the field codes on the TOC and you'll get
an idea of what I mean.

However, it sounds to me like there's really nothing wrong with the TOC and
the Word functionality that builds it; as you say, Pam's recommendation
regenerates the TOC correctly, so no problem there. It's really the Table of
Figures that's causing the problem, so ultimately, if you want to fix your
TOC issue, you'll need to address the Table of Figures problem.

Unfortunately, "thrown totally out of whack" doesn't really tell us much
about what's happening, so I can't provide any advice on how to fix it. (For
example, it would be useful to know how the Table of Figures is built, how
figures are identified, etc.) However, I suspect that it's going to just be a
matter of hard graft and making sure that everything is configured properly
to allow the Table of Figures to be built using whatever method is being
employed.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.

Read the original version of this post in the Office Discussion Groups - no
membership required!

"Henn9660" wrote:

I have tried this already, and while the TOC is regenerated (correctly), the
List of Figures, which is very large, is thrown totally out of whack and

Henn9660 wrote:
The appendices in my document are from A through U. I did not originate the
document, but have "adopted and grown it." When 'hovering' over the
appendices, the standard window appears stating "Current Document - CTRL +
Click to follow link." When I do this, I'm taken to Appendix N instead of
Appendix U. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I agree with Gordon. It would also be helpful to know how the TOC and TOF
are constructed. Press Alt+F9 to show the field codes. Copy text inside the
field braces for each and post them in you reply. Also tell us whether there
is at least a return between the two. (Press Alt+F9 again to turn the field
codes off.)

PamC

Gordon Bentley-Mix on news.microsoft.com wrote:
[...]

List of Figures, which is very large, is thrown totally out of whack and

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
Click to follow link." When I do this, I'm taken to Appendix N instead of
Appendix U. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jeff

Figures numbers show up as "Figure 1.5" not "B.1" in Appendix Randy Microsoft Word Help 2 November 12th 08 03:42 PM
Appendix Help!! pmwallis Page Layout 1 October 14th 08 06:30 PM
numbering wrong in the Appendix Associates Microsoft Word Help 0 August 31st 08 11:26 PM
Appendix Phil Ardussi[_3_] Formatting Long Documents 2 August 13th 08 12:01 AM
INCLUDEPICTURE w/ unique " mail merge" file names prints wrong Bryan G Mailmerge 10 April 19th 06 06:42 PM