John

Default Formatting fields in Word (using Excel as Mail Merge Data) - need.

I have a Word document set up as a Mail Merge, using an Excel worksheet as my
data source. I am comparing two fields - current month sales vs. same month
last year, to get a sales ratio. I formatted the result in Excel so that
when the answer is, say "0.354", I get "35.4%". When I bring that "result"
field over into Word, I still get the "0.354". How do I format the
mail-merge field to show percentages (and even better would be to show a "+"
and "-" sign to indicate the appropriate fluctuation)?
Peter Jamieson

To do the calculation you need to get 35.4 from 0.354, use e.g.

{ =100*{ MERGEFIELD mypercentagefield } }

Then use a numeric format switch to format the data, e.g.

{ =100*{ MERGEFIELD mypercentagefield } \#"+0.0%" }

where all the {} are inserted using ctrl-F9.

It's probably simpler to specify the maximum number of zeroes after the
decimal point that you use, e.g. if it is two, use
\#"+0.00%", and accept that Word will display trailing zeroes.

Peter Jamieson

"John" wrote in message
I have a Word document set up as a Mail Merge, using an Excel worksheet as
my
data source. I am comparing two fields - current month sales vs. same
month
last year, to get a sales ratio. I formatted the result in Excel so that
when the answer is, say "0.354", I get "35.4%". When I bring that
"result"
field over into Word, I still get the "0.354". How do I format the
mail-merge field to show percentages (and even better would be to show a
"+"
and "-" sign to indicate the appropriate fluctuation)?