david

Default Problem inserting Microsoft Equation Objects in Word 2003

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had seen the following problem or had any
suggestions on how to resolve it.

System -
- Windows XP Pro, SP2 with all the windows updates installed
- Office 2003 Pro - Full installation with SP1 and all the updates from
Office Update
- Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 9.02 with LiveUpdate 2.6 and the
latest definitions
- plus other software

The problem -
Open Microsoft Word, From the Insert menu choose Object then Microsoft
Equation 3.0. Instead of the expected equation frame and toolbar you
get the error window in attachment (EquationEditorError_1.jpg), i.e.
"Microsoft Equation Editor has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Things I've tried -
1) Windows Update and Office Update - it's already up to date
2) Tried a repair of Office 2003 - no difference
3) Tried it from another user logon - no difference
4) Google Groups searches produced similar things but they talk about a
Norton Office plugin which is not part of Symantec CE - I searched
anyway and it wasn't there. Similarly Microsoft support didn't have
anything.
5) Tried a normal uninstal/reinstall of Office - no difference
6) Tried an aggressive uninstall - i.e. uninstall, removed references to
Microsoft Office and Equation in the registry, removed left over files
in Program Files\Microsoft Office, C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\Equation, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\Office11. Then did a full re-install - still no good.
6) Tried running the program from it's standalone executable in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Equation - no good
7) Tried copying a known good C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\Equation directory to the machine to see if that made a
difference - no again :-(

It seems that there is something I've missed that is on the machine, but
I'm at a loss to know how to find it.

If any of you have any ideas or suggestions, I would be grateful to hear
them.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=,

Open Microsoft Word, From the Insert menu choose Object then Microsoft
Equation 3.0. Instead of the expected equation frame and toolbar you
get the error window in attachment (EquationEditorError_1.jpg), i.e.
"Microsoft Equation Editor has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Microsoft licences Equation Editor from MathType. You might check their
website to see if there's anything on this in an FAQ.

Standard troubleshooting would be to start windows in Safe Mode and see if
the problem still exists. If not, then something loading when your machine
boots is interfering with the software.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pawslee pawslee is offline

Any solutions to this problem?

I am getting the same error message:"Microsoft Equation Editor has
encountered a problem and needs to close...." when i tried to open
equation in Word. I have all the updates incl Office SP2

thank you

--
pawslee