Debbie

Default Non breaking dash

How do I keep a word that has a dash in it from breaking at the end of a
line. Using the ctrl+shift+spacebar command does not work, and of course the
ctrl+shift+hypen command works but is not correct. How do I do this when the
word has a dash?
Cynthia

This might help. However, there is the type of RETURN you can put in at
that word.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.. Select the paragraphs in which you want to control widows and orphans.
2.. On the Format menu, click Paragraph, and then click the Line and Page
Breaks tab.
3.. Select the Widow/Orphan control check box.
Note This option is turned on by default.

Insert a nonbreaking hyphen
1.. Click where you want to insert the nonbreaking hyphen.
2.. Press CTRL+SHIFT+HYPHEN.

Automatically format hyphens as en dashes and em dashes
When you type a space and one or two hyphens between text, Microsoft Word
automatically inserts an en dash ( - ). If you type two hyphens and do not
include a space before the hyphens, then an em dash ( - ) is created.

To create the dashes as you type or after you type, do one of the following:

Format dashes as you type

1.. On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the
AutoFormat As You Type tab.
2.. Select the Hyphens ( -- ) with dash ( - ) check box.
For example, "See pages 3 - 10" becomes "See pages 3-10."

Format dashes after you type

1.. On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the
AutoFormat tab.
2.. Select the Hyphens (--) with dash ( - ) check box.
For example, "Many pines--ponderosa, for example--grow here" becomes "Many
pines-ponderosa, for example-grow here."

Attached Images

Klaus Linke

"Debbie" wrote:
How do I keep a word that has a dash in it from breaking at the end of =

a line. Using the ctrl+shift+spacebar command does not work, and of=20
course the ctrl+shift+hypen command works but is not correct. =20
How do I do this when the word has a dash?

Hi Debbie,

Let me guess why you think Ctrl+Shift+Hypen isn't correct:
It'll display too long on the screen when you have =C2=B6 formatting =
marks visible.

But that's just the display: They'll print the same as regular hyphens.

Regards,
Klaus
Debbie

That was it. Thank you.

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

"Debbie" wrote:
How do I keep a word that has a dash in it from breaking at the end of
a line. Using the ctrl+shift+spacebar command does not work, and of
course the ctrl+shift+hypen command works but is not correct.
How do I do this when the word has a dash?

Hi Debbie,

Let me guess why you think Ctrl+Shift+Hypen isn't correct:
It'll display too long on the screen when you have ΒΆ formatting marks visible.