Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Stefan64

Default Why is formating (zip & phone) lost when merging from Excel to Wo.

When using office 2003, I want to merge my data from Excel to Word (labels,
letters, etc.) and the formatting for the zip code and telephone # is lost.
Example - in Excel the zip code is 06051 but when merged it is 6051, and the
phone # in Excel is (###) ###-#### and when merged is ##########.
how can this be resolved???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Stefan64" wrote in message
When using office 2003, I want to merge my data from Excel to Word
(labels,
letters, etc.) and the formatting for the zip code and telephone # is
lost.
Example - in Excel the zip code is 06051 but when merged it is 6051, and
the
phone # in Excel is (###) ###-#### and when merged is ##########.
how can this be resolved???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gladys Gladys is offline

Laymans Term

Merge as normal
In Word, in the Main Document, press Alt+F9 to view the field codes.
2. Find the field code for the number. It will look something like:
{ MERGEFIELD FieldName }
3. Add a switch, to format the number with phone number formats.
For example:
{ MERGEFIELD "Phone" \# "(###)'-'####" }
4. Press Alt+F9 to hide the field codes.
5. Update all labels
5. Save the Main Document