Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser

Default breaking table without breaking table

dear newsgroup,

i have a table that spanned 5 (a4 - landscape) pages long. what i want is
for the last complete row of the table able to be displayed without being
truncated on to the next page to be displayed on the page and for the next
row to be displayed in its entirety on the following new page, without
breaking the table i.e. so i don't lose columns/rows/tables manipulations
functionalities. anyone has suggestions on how this can be achieved? thank
you.

os: wxp pro sp2; office: office 2003.

regards,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser

hello suzanne,

thank you for your prompt reply. i am not quite sure what you are asking me
to do. i tried to:

1. Insert Break (break types) Page Break - i did not get the desired
effect, i.e. it breaks the table into 2 tables i.e. if you adjust the column
on one page, it is not applied beyond the broken page. i have tried this
earlier.

2. Highligths the last row before the end of the page or first row of the
what i want or showing your suggestion.

can you give me a more detailed instructions please? thank you.

kind regards,
jes

"xppuser" wrote in message
dear newsgroup,

i have a table that spanned 5 (a4 - landscape) pages long. what i want is
for the last complete row of the table able to be displayed without being
truncated on to the next page to be displayed on the page and for the next
row to be displayed in its entirety on the following new page, without
breaking the table i.e. so i don't lose columns/rows/tables manipulations
functionalities. anyone has suggestions on how this can be achieved? thank
you.

os: wxp pro sp2; office: office 2003.

regards,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans

Why not just set all rows in the table to not be allowed to break across
pages? Select the table and go to Table Table Properties Rows and
uncheck the box)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can use the "Page break before" setting in a table row without

breaking
the table.

so
all may benefit.

"xppuser" wrote in message
dear newsgroup,

i have a table that spanned 5 (a4 - landscape) pages long. what i want

is
for the last complete row of the table able to be displayed without

being
truncated on to the next page to be displayed on the page and for the

next
row to be displayed in its entirety on the following new page, without
breaking the table i.e. so i don't lose columns/rows/tables

manipulations
functionalities. anyone has suggestions on how this can be achieved?

thank
you.

os: wxp pro sp2; office: office 2003.

regards,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Luc

Xpuser,
To do what Suzanne suggested, select your row, choose Format - paragraph -
second tab - check page break before.
Luc
"xppuser" schreef in bericht
hello suzanne,

thank you for your prompt reply. i am not quite sure what you are asking
me
to do. i tried to:

1. Insert Break (break types) Page Break - i did not get the desired
effect, i.e. it breaks the table into 2 tables i.e. if you adjust the
column
on one page, it is not applied beyond the broken page. i have tried this
earlier.

2. Highligths the last row before the end of the page or first row of the
do

"xppuser" wrote in message
dear newsgroup,

i have a table that spanned 5 (a4 - landscape) pages long. what i want
is
for the last complete row of the table able to be displayed without
being
truncated on to the next page to be displayed on the page and for the
next
row to be displayed in its entirety on the following new page, without
breaking the table i.e. so i don't lose columns/rows/tables
manipulations
functionalities. anyone has suggestions on how this can be achieved?
thank
you.

os: wxp pro sp2; office: office 2003.

regards,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Format | Paragraph | Line and Page Breaks tab: "Page break before." See also
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ksInTables.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can use the "Page break before" setting in a table row without

breaking
the table.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"xppuser" wrote in message
dear newsgroup,

i have a table that spanned 5 (a4 - landscape) pages long. what i want

is
for the last complete row of the table able to be displayed without

being
truncated on to the next page to be displayed on the page and for the

next
row to be displayed in its entirety on the following new page, without
breaking the table i.e. so i don't lose columns/rows/tables

manipulations
functionalities. anyone has suggestions on how this can be achieved?

thank
you.

os: wxp pro sp2; office: office 2003.

regards,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
xppuser

Thank you all for your advice!

Luc and Suzanne came up with a solution, which when applied a small black
dot appeared on the left most margin (ala if you changed your heading style
for example). I have reveal codes and document map switched on as a matter of
habit. The appearance of this dot suggests (rightly or wrongly) to me that
some kind of styling changes was made by using Luc/Suzanne's suggestion. I am
writing a document at the moment and my fear (and it is fear) is I don't
know/understand what implication this change has when I generate my document
at the end of my work (there are other long tables elsewhere in the document)
some months from now. At first glance it seems not to have made styling
changes but I don't know.

Tony's solution achieve the desired result too but without introducing this
black dot.

So for now I am adopting Tony's solution but I would appreciate input from
any/all of you regarding my comments above. Needless to say I am grateful for
all of your advices. I wanted to close the thread by marking 'this post
answer the question' but I do hope to hear responses in the next couple of
days if nothing else, for my own education. Otherwise or regardless, I will
return to close the thread and check the Yes for Did this post answer the
question?

Thank you again,
jes

"xppuser" wrote in message
dear newsgroup,

i have a table that spanned 5 (a4 - landscape) pages long. what i want

is
for the last complete row of the table able to be displayed without

being
truncated on to the next page to be displayed on the page and for the

next
row to be displayed in its entirety on the following new page, without
breaking the table i.e. so i don't lose columns/rows/tables

manipulations
functionalities. anyone has suggestions on how this can be achieved?

thank
you.

os: wxp pro sp2; office: office 2003.

regards,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

Yes, "Page break before" changes the formatting of text, if that's
what you are asking. It is paragraph formatting. You can add it to a
style, if you want to (similar to the way "Keep with next" is enabled
by default for Heading 1-3).

"Allow row to break across pages" is a setting for the table row; it
is not connected to paragraph styles.

For more about non-printing characters, such as the dot, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP