Amit

Default How to center table/text in a document?

Hi,

I'm having a tough time trying to center a table in a document. Using MS
Word 97.
When I go to Page Layout, the Left and Right margins are set to 0.7". But,
when I look at the document in Print Preview, there is more space on the left
side of the document than on the right side. I'd like to make this
symmetrical.

In the Page Layout view, I've tried to play with the margins at the top, but
it just shifts the text on the left, and in the Print Preview, the text is
cut off. I think I need to adjust the "window" through which I'm looking at
the text and shift it to the left, before centering the text. Hope this makes
sense.

I'm not an expert in Word formatting, so will appreciate any help with this.

Thanks!

-amit

Amit

Suzanne. Thanks (yet) again!! You are the Goddess of Word formatting.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Go to Table | Cell Height and Width. On the Row tab, choose Center
alignment.

Did that. It partially fixed the problem. Now, when I print the document,
all the text is printing, except for the left-most border for the table (for
all rows). The page layout shows 1.42 and .7 as the left and right margins
respectively. I'll try fixing this by decreasing the table width on the left
side.

-amit

"Amit" wrote in message
[...]

Amit

OK. managed to center the document, with all the text visible by fiddling
with the margins in page setup.

One thing I don't understand is that currently, in the page setup, the left
margin is 1.8" and right margin is .7", and in this case, the text prints out
with equal margins on left and right. Does that mean the actual margins are
much less than these? But, I was able to adjust and center the text by
increasing the left margin by a few inches. Would love to get an explanation
of what's going on here.

Thanks, and have a wonderful holiday season!!

-Amit

"Amit" wrote in message
[...]

ctt

I havent read all the replies but to center a table if you place your cursor
in the table and right click, go to Table Properties on the TABLE tab click
center then OK. This centers the table on the page. To center text in
individual cells just follow the standard keystrokes or highlight the text
within the cell and then click the center icon on your toolbar.

"Amit" wrote:

[...]

If you have set your margins to 1.8" left and 0.7" right (and do not have a
gutter), your table should be centered between those margins, not between
the edges of the page. If you need to use these margins to get text centered
on the page, then there is something odd about your printer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Go to Table | Cell Height and Width. On the Row tab, choose Center
alignment.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.